Healthy Thanksgiving Dinner Alternatives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Thanksgiving is a time for family, friends and stuffing our faces.  Every year, plate after plate is filled with cheesy potatoes, stuffing, ham and, of course, pies.  Sometimes it can be tough to control oneself and, of course, its alright to indulge here and there.  Still, having some healthy alternatives to choose from always makes things a little easier.  Here are four alternatives to some of the tastiest Thanksgiving treats. 

Mashed Potatoes Garlic Mashed Cauliflower

Cauliflower has virtually zero calories, so you’ll be skipping all the starch that a potato brings while still getting to enjoy something creamy and buttery to go with your turkey.

Find the recipe here

Green Bean Casserole Brussels Sprouts & Cranberry Salad

Green bean casserole is usually the only green you’ll see on a plate.  But with the friend onions and creamy soup that gives it its infamous consistency, you’re looking at a lot more fat content than you may be willing to run off later.  Try this rich and tasty salad as an alternative.  Brussels sprouts may have a bad rap, but they’re super high in vitamins and adding pecans and cranberries keeps the salad appropriately seasonal.

Find the recipe here

Thanksgiving Stuffing   Delicious Low-Cal Stuffing

Stuffing can be filled with sausage and TONS of butter, so this healthier version can be a great way to satisfy your stuffing needs this Thanksgiving. 

Find the recipe here

Pumpkin Pie Pumpkin Dip

Pie is usually a necessary staple to a true Thanksgiving dinner, but with this recipe, you won’t even miss it!  Make sure to grab some low fat ginger snaps or graham crackers to dip with this tasty treat and you won’t even feel guilty going back for seconds!

Find the recipe here

While it’s totally OK to pig out on Thanksgiving, sometimes throwing in a healthy option here and there will make it a little easier on your waistline.  Whether you use one or all of these recipes, be sure to have a happy Thanksgiving.  

Olivia is a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison with big aspirations in PR and advertising. With a love for writing, beauty and confidence, she’s making it through college one step at a time.
Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com