Healthy Spring Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Warmer weather is quickly approaching—hopefully—and it’s time to start shedding all of our winter layers. As the ever-dreaded bikini season is just around the corner, there will be no more hiding our bodies under the comfort of oversized sweaters and leggings. This means we should probably make an attempt at being a little more conscious of what we’re eating. These snacks are both healthy and tasty and will help to wake your body up from its winter hibernation.

Sriracha Popcorn

Pop popcorn kernels using a paper lunch bag and your microwave will result in fat-free popcorn without any chemicals or dyes. A.K.A. it’s a lot better for you then pre-packaged microwaved popcorn. The spiciness of the Sriracha will also help to boost your metabolism!

Ingredients:

1 large brown paper lunch bag

1/2-cup popcorn kernels

1 1/2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

1 1/2 tbsp. Sriracha

1/4 tsp. salt

Put the kernels in the lunch bag and fold the top down two times. Place in the microwave on its side and cook on high for 3 minutes and 45 seconds. Note that microwave times vary, so keep an eye on your popcorn, or try using the pre-set popcorn button! In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, Sriracha and salt.

When the popcorn is done, pour it into a large bowl and drizzle on the Sriracha mixture while tossing the popcorn with a large spoon. Enjoy!

Beachy Trail Mix

This healthy trail mix is quick and easy to make. Most importantly, it’ll help keep you motivated to work towards your beach bod, simply because it will remind you of the beach!

Only ONE easy step: combine Macadamia nuts, white chocolate chips, dried pineapple, and coconut flakes in a bowl or Ziploc bag and you’re done!

Macadamia nuts are a rich source of energy and are packed with numerous health-benefiting nutrients, minerals, antioxidants and vitamins that are essential for optimal health. The best part about this trail mix is that it doesn’t go stale fast, so it will last a while too!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie

You’re definitely lying to yourself if you don’t think chocolate and peanut butter is the best combination on this planet. This smoothie tastes just like a peanut butter cup with a whole 28 grams of protein from pure sources. Smoothies are a great option after workouts and the protein will keep you full longer!

In a blender, combine:

6 oz. Greek yogurt → 18 grams of protein

3/4 cup skim milk → 6 grams of protein

1 Tablespoon Skippy natural peanut butter → 4 grams of protein

1 ripe banana cut into chunks and frozen

Cocoa powder

Honey

If you’re feeling fancy, try throwing some spinach leaves into it too! The smoothie is so rich and creamy the taste will be masked by the peanut butter and chocolate.

Healthy eating can be more than just eating raw veggies and pretending not to hate every minute of it. These yummy and nutritious snacks will get you motivated and keep you healthy for the warmer upcoming months. Happy snacking!

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!