Freshman Year Expectations vs Reality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

For myself and many others, starting college is a huge change. Never before had I needed to be so self-sufficient while simultaneously juggling schoolwork, a job, and whatever else life throws at me. Before you head off to the new chapter of your life, you likely will have some assumptions about what you’re getting yourself into. While some prove to be true, others are far from it. Here’s what I’ve learned from my experience!

Expectation: It’s easy to get lost in the sea of faces, especially at a big school. 

Reality: Kind of true

This is only true in that there are a lot of people walking around in between classes so you are in a literal sea of faces. However, once you settle into your routine and life, you won’t believe how small the world is. The people from your dorm, classes, and clubs are everywhere. Sometimes it’s hard to walk to class without seeing a single person you know.

(photo source)

Expectation: College classes are hard.

Reality: True

I’m not going to lie about this… your classes are going to be difficult! In comparison to high school, the classes are simply more fast-paced and reliant on the fact that you’re teaching yourself. Don’t worry too much though. If you have some experience with college-level classes and work hard, it isn’t as hard as some people make it out to be. 

(photo source)

Expectation: You meet all your best friends in college.

Reality: Maybe true?

I think this is very true for a lot of people. However, it’s important to know that not everyone feels this way. This expectation haunted me for so long until I realized that it’s not the end of the world that the people I’ve met in college so far aren’t my best friends. So you might meet your best friends, but don’t sweat it if you don’t. It’s your first year and you still have time left to make connections. Regardless of if you find your best friends, you will meet plenty of new people!

(Photo source)

Expectation: Taking an 8am class won’t be that bad. I woke up at 7am every morning for high school.

Reality: I was so wrong

Don’t take an 8am unless you a) normally wake up early every single day (aka morning people) or b) have an 8am every single day. I made the horrible mistake of having an 8am class only two days of the week. College students typically stay up later and wake up later, so it was very difficult to only wake up early for two days a week. I felt tired every single class and couldn’t focus as well.

(photo source)

Expectation: The professors don’t care about their students.

Reality: Not true

There are plenty of professors out there who genuinely do care for their students. This assumption comes from those teachers who teach large lecture classes where they simply can’t talk directly to every single student. Go talk to them during their office hours, and 9 times out of 10 you’ll soon see this expectation is false.

(photo source)

Expectation: College students go to class in their pajamas.

Reality: Not true

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve never seen this. This is probably because the invention of leggings and more fashionable sweatpants have become commonplace. So that’s our new stereotype.

(photo source)

Expectation: College is a great time to have fun and explore a little.

Reality: True

This is 100% true. I wouldn’t ever take back going to college. It can be stressful at times, but at the end of the day, it’s a great environment to be in.

(photo source)

College is full of expectations, and it’s easy to fall into the trap of believing all of them. Reflecting on my freshman year, most of my assumptions going into it were proven to be at least a bit wrong. Take any advice with a grain of salt and don’t stress too much!

Chloe Billstrom

Wisconsin '20

A junior studying Sociology, Spanish, and Global Health who also has a love for writing and languages.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!