Five Television Towns We Wish Were Our Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s very hard (at least for me) to remember what life was like pre-Netflix.  In fact, the duration of my college career could be broken down by the television series I was watching at the time.  The beauty (and possible pitfall) of Netflix is that it is always there for you, sitting on your laptop when you need to take a break from the stress of an overwhelming workload.  In a way, it’s an escape to another world entirely.  Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if by next year they include a diagnosis in the DSM-V for the symptoms that occur when one finishes a series (intense emotional attachment, sore eyes from binge-watching, loss of identity…).  Not only do I get totally into the characters’ lives, but I fall in love with the places they call home.  The more seasons I go through, the more these places start to feel like my second home.  Sometimes I really wish I could just pack up and move to these seemingly magical towns.  Here is a sample of the towns on my fictional wanderlust list:

Tree Hill, North Carolina

I have yet to find anybody that has not become completely obsessed with this show upon watching it.  You immediately become hooked to each person’s story, and it’s almost unbelievable how much some of the characters change throughout the course of the series (I still can’t believe the show started with Nathan and Peyton dating).  But one thing that never changes is the cute little town of Tree Hill, with by far the dopest basketball court around.  Plus, the basketball game days bring everyone together in this close-knit community.  It’s no wonder everyone returns to Tree Hill after high school and continue to live their adult lives there.

Stars Hallow, Connecticut

As soon as Gilmore Girls hit Netflix this October, all became right in the world.  Stars Hallow is the very definition of small town charm, bursting with crazy but loveable people.  Everyone needs a Luke or Babette in their life, always there for you in a moment’s notice down the street.  And of course who could forget the plethora of ridiculous events always going on and the hilarious town meetings.  While some may think small town living is boring, I’d challenge them to find someone more dynamic than Kirk, who himself held a million odd jobs in this little town.

Capeside, Massachusetts

Dawson’s Creek brings back so much nostalgia for the good old simple days.  I could only dream about passing lazy summer days by the water with Joey, Dawson, and Pacey.  While it seemed like they believed that growing up meant leaving Capeside, all of them found it very hard to do so.  A quaint little town like this will always have your heart.

Wisteria Lane, Fairview

I don’t know so much about this one in terms of actually wanting to live on Wisteria Lane (I mean, come on, everyone either dies, is hiding some horrible secret, or is clinically insane) but the idea of an idyllic suburban town is so captivating for some reason.  Coming from the suburbs of Chicago, my neighborhood was nothing like this but if there’s one thing I took from this show; it’s awesome to have your neighbors as your best friends too.  The beauty of the Lane wasn’t so much the pristine lawns and sprawling houses but the amazing friendships that blossomed within.

Bluebell, Alabama

The hometown of the Hart of Dixie will surely steal anyone’s heart.  This small town is the epitome of the beauty and charm of the South.  The sprawling mansion belongs to Bluebell’s mayor Lavon Hayes, a former NFL player and all-around best friend any girl could ask for.  You’ll be wishing to be a Southern belle sipping sweet tea in no time.

Upper East Side, Manhattan

Gossip Girl has no shortage of good-looking people, money, and incredibly good fashion taste, but this show created one of the most enticing depictions of New York city living.  The whole cityscape was their playground, and I could only dream about catching up with friends over coffee on the glamorous MET steps. 

No matter the place you let your mind wander to when you just want to get away from it all, we all dream of being able to go someplace new and magical (whether it’s fictional or not).  You may not be able to go there, but you can always snuggle into your twin bed with your laptop, and let your favorite show on Netflix take you away from reality for the day.

Michelle Motyl is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison double majoring in Biology and Journalism. Her role models include Meredith from Grey’s Anatomy and Giuliana Rancic of E! News. Michelle believes her big city hometown of Chicago is second-to-none, and can be heard sharing random thoughts on her Twitter @MeeshtheKeesh. In her spare time, she enjoys reading the newest YA romance novels while sipping on skinny vanilla lattes, believing that the best men you will meet in life are those you find in books, not bars.
I am currently a sophomore at University of Wisconsin- Madison pursuing a degree in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication.  As Campus Correspondent of Her Campus, Wisconsin chapter I am passionate about current events and can be found browsing any and every article that pops- up on my Facebook newsfeed.