books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Five Reasons You Shouldn’t Pull an All-Nighter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

According to the National Institutes of Health, college students are one of the most sleep-deprived populations. However, those who practice bad sleeping habits, usually initiated by pulling all-nighters, are at risk of some major issues. It is incredibly important, especially as college students, to get a good night’s sleep and here’s why:

1. Sleep improves your memory

One of the biggest reasons college students are pulling all-nighters is to take advantage of every available minute they have, often to study for a big exam. The idea that this actually helps your performance is a common belief, but, in reality, it actually lessens your ability to perform well on a test! Getting a good night’s sleep is pertinent for doing well.  Studies show that you will be less likely to remember the information you cram during that late-night study session than you would have with a regular amount of sleep. Get your Zzz’s because sleep increases your memory’s capability and your brain will retain more of the information if you allow it time to “sink in” overnight!

2. Sleep puts you in a better mood

Plain and simple, no one likes to have a bad day and by pulling an all-nighter you are putting yourself at risk for a serious case of the grumpies. Pulling an all-nighter can cause your mood to plummet the next day, whereas getting a regular amount of sleep can greatly improve your mood. There is also a real concern when it comes to habitually missing out on sleep. Regular sleep deprivation can put you at risk for more serious side effects such as heightened anxiety and depression. This is why it is important that you do both you, and your mental health, a favor and get some sleep.

3. Sleep helps you live a little more stress-free

As college students, it is incredibly hard to avoid being stressed out. With the constant pressure to do well in school, it can be hard to find time to take your mind off your grades. However, a good night’s sleep can not only help lower your stress levels but is also correlated with better grades. So, instead of pulling an all-nighter in the hopes that extra cram-time will help your grade, take a trip to slumberland and let your brain get the rest that it needs to help you tackle the next day. Not only will you feel more relaxed, but you’ll feel more mentally prepared.

4. Sleep improves your health

While you may think that you are completely resting while you are asleep, your body is actually doing a lot of very important work. While you are asleep your body’s reparative functions kick in, which lead to you receiving some incredible benefits. Getting the recommended amount of sleep can strengthen your immune system, improve heart health, decrease pain, alleviate headaches and migraines, and decrease your susceptibility to certain kinds of cancers. Whether you’re trying to fend off that sickness that seems to always be making its way around campus, or are just looking out for your general health, it is crucial that you avoid pulling all-nighters as much as you can.

5. Sleep is the best, and cheapest, beauty tool

What if I told you that you could improve the appearance of your skin, decrease your dark circles, encourage weight loss, and appear and feel overall healthier using one simple trick? You would probably think this was a click-bait ad, right? But in reality, all you need to achieve these things is, you guessed it, sleep! When you pull an all-nighter, you run the risk of dull skin, swollen eyes, dark circles, wrinkles, and a hyperactive appetite. These things can be worsened the more habitual this bad sleep habit continues. So, do yourself, and your body, a favor and hit they hay at a reasonable hour, reap in those benefits and enjoy how amazing it feels!

In case you haven’t figured it out yet, sleep is insanely good for you. While pulling an all-nighter can seem like a productive use of your time, it is more detrimental to your mental and physical health. When in doubt, just keep sleeping!

Thumbnail image source

Catherine is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin - Madison. She is pursuing majors in both Literature and Education as well as a certificate in Gender and Women's Studies. Catherine enjoys rocking out to indie music, watching Badger basketball games and cuddling with adorable cats. She is incredibly excited to be writing for Her Campus, and cannot wait to bring fun and exciting articles to readers.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!