Eternal Summer: Transitioning Your Summer Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s finally that time of year. You know, the one where you swear your chunkiest sweater won’t keep you warm as you head to your first class of the morning. Yet, by noon, you’re mentally cursing yourself for not wearing your shortest shorts. The time of year where you spend the majority of your morning wondering if you can really keep wearing your favorite summer sundresses, or if you’ll look totally out of season.

Yeah, that one.

How are you supposed to find the perfect, cute outfit that will keep you warm enough in the chilly fall mornings, and cool enough in the afternoon sun? Layers are a girl’s best friend when it comes to days with fluctuating temperatures, and it’s easy to incorporate your favorite summer pieces with a few fall staples and styling tips. Learning how to transition your wardrobe can be tough, but we’re here to give you the scoop on transitioning your favorite summer trends into wearable fall ensembles

1. Extend the life of your favorite skater skirts by adding a pair of sheer black tights and pairing them with an adorable ankle bootie. The tights will instantly amp up any outfit and additionally help to provide an extra layer of coverage. If you’re feeling a little more daring, try accessorizing with dark knee, or thigh high socks instead.

2. If you’ve been dreading the thought of tucking your favorite crop tops away for the season, think again! Crop tops can be easily complemented with long, flowing maxi skirts. The juxtaposition of structured cropped pieces next to feminine silhouettes has been a growing trend on the runway, and the look is easy to execute in almost any setting. Alternatively, dress your crop top down with a pair of jogger pants.

3. Have a love for everything high waisted? While the weather lingers in the warmer end of the fall weather spectrum, pair your favorite pair of high waisted shorts with a knit sweater, chunky scarf, or any variation of combat boots. These pieces will leave you with all the traditional, cozy sentiments of fall dressing, without having to completely cover up. Once the weather begins to get cooler, opt for a classic pair of high waisted jeans. 

4. Don’t give up bold colors and patterns. The end of summer doesn’t have to mean the end of fun colors and patterns. While the season has typically consisted of a neutral color palette, rich jewel and gem tones (such as amethyst, garnet, emerald, and sapphire) definitely demand attention this fall. Similarly, patterns typically associated with summertime don’t have to be quite so easily dismissed. Toughen up your favorite florals or nautical stripes with leather accents. Leather leggings provide an extra edge to any outfit, and a classic leather moto jacket is always in style.

Existing pieces in your wardrobe can always be transitioned from season to season. Extend the life of your favorite summer trends from skater skirts and crop tops, to high waisted proportions and bright patterns. It’s all in the styling! Many pieces can be easily made more versatile by toughening up your favorite summer ensembles. Whether it’s with unique layering, a change in proportions, or a touch of leather, transforming your closet from season to season has never been so easy. 

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com