Emma Watson Is Going to be the Perfect Belle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Beauty and the Beast is premiering in theaters on Mar. 17, and Disney fans all over the world are buzzing with excitement. Growing up, my favorite Disney movies always involved animals instead of humans (Lion King, Aristocats, etc.). That said, I joined the Disney princess bandwagon a little late in life. But, it was undeniable that Belle was my favorite princess once I had the ability to appreciate her for everything she is and stands for. Just as Disney princesses inspire young children every day, Emma Watson, too, stands for everything a child should aspire to be when they grow up, which makes her the absolute perfect pick for the newest live Disney remake.

Emma is refreshingly intelligent.

Even while filming and working on different projects, Emma took her college studies very seriously. She graduated with a BA in English Literature from Brown University, which was similar to Belle, whom always has her nose in a book. Even Emma’s most recognizable character, Hermione Grainger, makes studies a top priority. Belle allows her reading to take her to new places, understand new cultures, and lead her on fantastic adventures.

Emma believes in standing up for larger issues.

Emma was appointed to be the UN Women Goodwill Ambassador, a huge honor for even such talented and brilliant woman. Emma has launched the campaign HeForShe, which calls for men to join the fight for women equality. Belle, too, has the ability to stand up for what she knows in her heart is right. Belle selflessly defends both the hideous Beast and her loony father in absolutely every situation necessary.

Emma is relentless in her pursuits.

In a UN speech, Emma recalled how she had been called “bossy” when she was only 8 years old. She said that’s when she began to question gender norms. Emma has proven herself to be relentless in her pursuits working with the UN. One of my favorite aspects of Belle is her stubbornness: she makes the Beast work for her affection.

Emma doesn’t allow her femininity make her less powerful than any man.

Emma appreciates her beauty; she modeled for quite a while on top of acting. Recently, she has faced heat for her Vanity Fair shoots, which showed parts of her breasts. Emma’s response? That feminism is about freedom, liberation and equality. “I really don’t see what my tits have to do with it,” Emma said. Although Belle is known for her beauty (and the manliest man in town wants her hand in marriage), Belle remains respectful to herself in understanding that her beauty shouldn’t be the object of a man’s affection—her heart should be.

Emma embodies grace, honesty, selflessness, and kindness in all of her actions.

Emma and Belle alike embody grace, kindness, honesty and selflessness in their everyday lives. And I think those are the most important traits to be displayed to America’s children in both the animated and live version of the story.

These women are truly the role models we want our boys and girls to look up to early in their lives. It should be a goal for each of us to have a little more ‘Belle’ in ourselves. 

SaveSave

SaveSave

UW-Madison • Journalism: Double-tracking Reporting and Strategic Communications with a Certificate in Digital Studies  
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!