The DOs and DON’Ts of Putting a Sorority on a Résumé

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

When you’re part of a sorority, it can be easy to see Greek Life as the most important thing you’re involved in on campus.  It’s undeniable that involvement in a sorority demonstrates responsibility, time management, killer social skills, leadership and more. However, these experiences shouldn’t camouflage all of the leadership and philanthropic growth you have gained during your time in college. Here is a helpful list to guide you in highlighting your sorority experiences within a professional résumé.

DO…put your sorority involvement on your resume. It’s a huge part of your life and shows off some important life skills and experiences.

DON’T…neglect to put any major part of your college experience (such as Greek life) on your résumé. Make your personal journey unique!

DO…include a quantitative amount of service hours you have donated during your time in Greek life. List exactly where you volunteered and any specific projects you aided.

DON’T…feel pressured to mention every place you have volunteered. If you’ve volunteered at a ton of places, stick to the ones you spent the most time at or the ones which are most directly related to the job you’re applying for. 

DO…have confidence in your achievements.

DON’T…let socials and parties distract you from believing in all the philanthropic work you have accomplished.

DO…ignore stereotypes and focus on the leadership roles and experiences you’ve gained during your time in Greek life.

DON’T…worry whether the person reading your résumé was in Greek life or not. They’ll recognize highlighted leadership when they see it!

DO…use these action verbs: ‘achieved’, ‘chaired’, ‘collaborated’, ‘coordinated’, ‘led’, ‘organized’, ‘planned’, ‘served’, ‘sponsored’, ‘volunteered’.

DON’T…use “dull” verbs: ‘attended’, ‘worked at’, ‘experienced’

Ultimately, it’s important to balance a healthy résumé with involvement from both Greek life and outside extracurricular activities. This can include jobs, writing for your school’s online magazine, sports teams, and more. However, it’s also essential to take advantage of promoting the skills you developed in your time with your sorority. Include important roles, quantitative measures of volunteer experiences, and always remember to use strong action verbs. Most importantly, employers value the presence of personality within your professional experiences. Stay true to yourself, and let your individuality shine!

I am a freshman at the University of Wisconsin-Madison aspiring to study Journalism and Strategic Communication.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!