Decorating Your College Apartment for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Wisconsin is finally rewarding us with the blissful fall weather we’ve all been patiently waiting for, and everything from our wardrobes to the Starbucks menu is adapting in celebration. So why not spice up your place as well? Or shall we say…pumpkin spice up? While you’re probably working with a small space like a shared apartment or a shoebox-sized dorm, here are some simple ways to give your living space an adorable autumn makeover.

1.Candles

The queen of tasteful home décor, Lauren Conrad, said it best: “There’s nothing more relaxing than slipping on a cozy sweater and lighting a sweet smelling candle.” Fall and winter are the ultimate seasons for dousing your apartment in the soothing aromas of pumpkin pie, apple spice, vanilla chai, and every other addicting fall scent the geniuses at Yankee Candle somehow came up with. Candles tend to be a no-no in the dorms, but if you remember to blow it out before the house fellows come knocking, no one has to know the secret to your deliciously fragrant dorm room.

2.Sweet Treats

Having a bowl of candy corn or Halloween candy on your counter or coffee table is a cheap and delicious way to get into the fall spirit, especially if you like playing hostess. You’ll be the talk of the hallway with your supply of festive fall snacks! Just be careful not to let your sweet tooth get the best of you—one moment you’re being crowned Mom of your floor thanks to your continual candy supply, next your dental hygienist is totally giving you the stink eye for a newfound cavity. If only candy corn wasn’t the crack of Halloween treats. Sigh.

3.Cozy Throws

Snuggly blankets and pillows are an easy and toasty way to make your place ready for fall, as well as for the unavoidable cold weather to come. A quick trip to Target to fill your cart with earth-toned décor and warm fall color schemes will have your apartment matching the changing leaves outside in no time. For budget-friendly options, look in thrift shops on State or fabric stores to find some seasonal covers to put over your couch pillows! Boom, you’re essentially the next Nate Berkus.

4.Cornucopia

A basket of gourds, small pumpkins, fall foliage, or fruit is an easy way to honor autumn tradition, and it’s just about as fall-y as you can get. Set it on an open table space and you’re good to go. Woo, way to be symbolic of the harvest!

5.Fall Foliage

Another super simple way to spice up your apartment décor is to sprinkle a little fall foliage errywhere. Craft stores like Michael’s have lots of fake leaves to give your shelves or coffee table the perfect little autumn touch! There’s also the option of going outside and gathering leaves yourself. Ya know, if you really want to get into that pilgrim spirit.

6.Pumpkins

Not only is making a weekend trip out to a pumpkin patch with friends super fun and festive, but it provides you with an abundant selection of fresh fall décor. You could go with the less is more approach and place a few small pumpkins on windowsills or countertops—that’s sometimes all you need to make an autumnal statement. Or you could make it a DIY craft! Step out of the normal pumpkin-carving box and into Pinterest heaven by decoupaging or painting faux pumpkins for your place. Very crafts. Such pumpkins. Many fall.

7.Fresh Flowers

If you’re like me and you’re way too lazy to live up to the creative goddess that your Pinterest boards make you appear, there are simpler solutions than gettin’ fancy with decoupage. AKA, sunflowers! Sometimes sacrificing your Saturday morning sleep-til-noon routine is worth the trip to the Farmer’s Market. And the best part? You can get a perfectly festive bunch of sunflowers, or almost any flowers, for super cheap! Now that’s my kind of decorating.

Meredith is a senior completing a Bachelor of Arts at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, majoring in Communication Arts and Gender & Women's Studies with a certificate in Digital Studies. She moonlights as a freelance portrait photographer, and you can find her work at meredithmariephotography.com.
Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com