This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Who doesn’t love a good cheese curd? Going to school in Wisconsin, I feel like I shouldn’t have to explain what a cheese curd is. However, non-Sconnie’s think that it is just a chunk of cheese. No no no. It is the chunk of cheese (white preferably) DEEP FRIED creating a hot, gooey, delicacy in Wisconsin. A cheese curd is a staple here in Wisconsin. I was born and raised in Minnesota but considering cheese is one of my favorite foods, I feel that I have truly embraced being a “cheese head.” I have been at school in Madison for over a year now and I have already had many cheese curds in my time here. So here is an overview of some of the best (and worst) cheese curds in Madison, Wisconsin. Welcome to the Curd Crawl.

Fried and Fabulous

A college campus’s most genius creation: a late night food cart to serve everyone’s most beloved drunchie. Parked right in the middle of State Street, people are almost forced to pass it on their way home from bars or Langdon Street. A massive sign that reads “DEEP FRIED CHEESE CURDS” definitely caught my attention on my way home from a social. They are only $5 AND come with ranch without even asking. I wish I could recall specific details, but I did wake up to my friend saying “WOW you loved those cheese curds last night,” so safe to say they were a great end to the night. I give them a tentative 4 out of 5 because I have to go back to really make sure they live up to the 5 out of 5 glory.

Rathskeller aka the Terrace

During warm weather, this is one of the most populated restaurants on campus. This is the food that people are eating in all of those colorful chair Instagrams with Lake Mendota in the background that take over our news feed April-September. This is also a major stopping ground for tourists. SO, one would think the cheese curds would be better!!! Nope. They are beer battered which is fine, but it literally tastes like I am eating beer… However, they are not very greasy. So tone down on the heavily dousing of beer and they could have a good curd on their hands. However, the rest of the food there is absolutely amazing and makes up for the bad curds, especially the French fries. I give them a 1/5 on the curd scale.

The Great Dane

I ate these cheese curds so fast that it seems like a blur. I worked up an appetite after a long day of FAC-ing, and I needed an appetizer to hold over until dinner. Naturally, I got the cheese curds. They were very good (from what I remember) and I would suggest them to others (I think). I rate them a 3/5.

KK

Go with the Mac and Cheese bites instead.

Chasers

I saved the best for last. I didn’t have these until this year, and I soon realized what I was missing out on in this world. About a month ago, a group of my sorority sisters were in a heated debate about the best cheese curds in Madison #justgirlythings. (This convo also inspired this article, so quick S/O to my GPhi sistas). The girls were in absolute shock that I have never had “Chaser’s cheese curds.” Like anyone else would do, I immediately put “Chaser’s cheese curds” at the top of my to-do list. Long story short, these are definitely my favorite (and the best) cheese curds in Madison. I love state fair cheese curds, and these are just like that; crispy, crunchy, gooey, bite-sized amazingness. 10 out 5 all around for “Chaser’s cheese curds.”

Side note: I have yet to try them, but I’ve heard Old Fashioned has some top notch cheese curds as well that tie with Chasers.

I hope you enjoyed virtually coming along for my Curd Crawl 2k14. Madison is a big city with lots and lots of cheese curds and I cannot wait to continue my journey. However, my thighs could use a bit of a break so I’ll be back for a new addition for 2015 with more curds under my belt (literally).

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com