Celebrating 20 Years: 20 ‘Friends’ Moments We Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Twenty years ago this Monday, NBC aired a new sitcom about a group of friends in their twenties living in New York City. On September 22, 1994, Rachel Green ran into Central Perk in her wedding dress and found Monica, Ross, Chandler, Phoebe, and Joey gathered around the iconic orange couch. And so Friends began. Most of us grew up watching the gang fumble through their twenties and thirties, laughing along with them as they struggled with work, family, and their love lives for ten memorable seasons. In celebration of 20 years of one of the greatest sitcoms of all time, we’ve gathered 20 moments from Friends that will always be there for us.

1. When Ross tried to go spray tanning.

2. When the gang had a trivia game about each other and placed a bet on the apartment.

3. When Joey put on all of Chandler’s clothes…commando.

4. When Ross’s boss threw away his sandwich. 

5. When everyone found out about Monica and Chandler’s relationship.

6. When Joey and Ross napped together. 

7. When Phoebe went running with Rachel. 

8. When Monica and Ross revealed “the routine”.

9. When Ross tried to teach Ben about Judaism, and dressed up as the Holiday Armadillo. 

10. When Chandler said, “I love you” to Monica for the first time. 

11. When Ross said Rachel’s name during his vows to Emily. 

12. When Phoebe had her brother’s triplets.

13. When Ross tried to teach Rachel and Phoebe about “unagi”.

14. When Rachel saw the prom video. 

15. When Chandler and Monica got engaged.

16. When Phoebe sang “Smelly Cat”.

17. When Ross claimed that he and Rachel were on a break…repeatedly.

18. Whenever Janice said, “Oh. My. God.”

19. When Chandler, Rachel, and Ross tried to “pivot” a couch up the stairs.

20. And finally, when Rachel got off the plane.

Meredith is a senior completing a Bachelor of Arts at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, majoring in Communication Arts and Gender & Women's Studies with a certificate in Digital Studies. She moonlights as a freelance portrait photographer, and you can find her work at meredithmariephotography.com.
Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com