Campus Cutie: Nigel Hayes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

How to put Nigel Hayes into words? Goofball, flirt, self-declared Mamma’s boy, and overall stud seem to fit the bill. Don’t be fooled though, under all the charm and a very real habit of throwing winks, lies a sensitive side. He’s the kind of guy who will choose to spend a Saturday night watching movies with a girl (perhaps even The Notebook) and values making connections with people and having a good laugh. That is, when he’s not on the court making big plays. Here’s a look at his many sides:

At a glance:

Hometown: Toledo, Ohio

Major: Business

Year: Freshman

Relationship Status: Single and waiting to be approached

Campus Activities: Forward on the Wisconsin Men’s Basketball Team and dedicated volunteer to serving his community

The Athlete:

First of all, what’s your favorite part of being on the basketball team?

I love being able to play in the best conference in the country at not only a great athletic institution but also academic, it’s the best of both worlds. Also, Madison in general is a beautiful city.

Do you have a favorite teammate?

I don’t have a favorite per se, but I’m the closest with Jordan Hill. We’re hangout buddies and have a lot of heart to hearts about women.

What’s your pre-game playlist consist of?

I don’t really listen to music beforehand. I usually mess around and make sure everyone’s feeling good and upbeat for the game. I’m rarely nervous, so I just focus on keeping the energy light. If I do listen to music, it’s usually classical music. I’m a big Beethoven fan.

Who’s the funny guy on the team?

I’ve been known to be labeled the funny guy actually, but I’m pretty humble about this and also about my spot on the basketball team. Usually if someone approaches me and asks if I’m Nigel, I’ll decline and say that either I just look at like him, I just hang out with the team, or no, I’m just plain tall. (Side note: He definitely claimed to be someone else when I first approached him, he does do this ladies, so don’t be fooled!)

What’s the story behind your “Nigel Burgundy” persona in Hayes for Days? Are you planning on pursuing reporting?

It really was an accident. One of the media guys approached me and offered me a turn with the mic to talk to my teammates. I didn’t realize he was being serious so I asked him what he’d want me to ask. He gave me free rein to do whatever I wanted, so I ran with it and applied my own funny spin to it. The first video came out and people really liked it, so we followed up with a second one and once again, people enjoyed it. We made a completion of five videos, however we should have had six….but reporting is something I’d consider.

What are your expectations for next year?

Win two more games than we did this year.

The Lady Killer

What do you look for in a girl/first thing you notice?

Personality wise, I like a girl who is funny, caring, compassionate and smart—intelligence is important. Preferably someone I can kick back and watch movies with. In fact, I’m not ashamed to admit I’ve watched The Notebook and most definitely cried. I’m definitely the sensitive type and I tend to empathize with movies. Often times when there’s a mother involved I think to myself “wow what if that was my mom” (awe, such a Momma’s boy). But in terms of girls’ physical characteristics, I like girls who are on the taller side with dark hair, nice eyes, and a great smile. I’m also really into teeth, a nice white smile really gets to me (let’s hope your dentist was good to you girls!).

Do you have a favorite pick-up line?

“Hi.”

Celebrity crush?

Eva Longoria—and for your next question, yes I do watch Desperate Housewives, in addition to Sports Center, CMT, and Brain Games of course.

Ideal date?

Whatever activity she likes to do, if she likes horseback riding, or dinner somewhere followed by a movie, I’d be up for that. Just as long as she’s happy and having a good time.

Biggest turn-off?

A lack of common-sense.

And just for kicks and giggles…

(He was a cutie right from the start!)

Interesting hobbies?

I like to read articles and learn random facts and trivia. For example, the hummingbird is the only bird that can fly backwards. I also consider my being a conversationalist a hobby, I’m great with words and I really enjoy socializing and meeting new people. I also really enjoy words in general, I’m constantly enhancing my vocabulary.

Typical Saturday night?

Hanging out with close friends watching TV or movies and having some real good laughs.

Boxers or briefs?

Don’t wear any. Just a basketball shorts kind of guy.

Summer plans?

I’m looking forward to going home and getting better at basketball.

How does it feel to be this week’s Campus Cutie?

What took so long? *wink*

There you have it, gals. The complete package—good looks and a debonair demeanor, not to mention he’s by far one the friendliest and funniest guys around!

I'm an aspiring journalist and brunch enthusiast here at UW-Madison. My boyfriend's name is sleep and I get some every night. I once showed ankle for Wi-Fi access and hope to one day love something the way women in commercials love yogurt. I'm good at mermaid dancing and prefer my puns intended--that is all.
Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com