Campus Celebrity: Jordan Meier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Name: Jordan Meier

Title: President of The Kollege Klub Inc. (Owner)

Hometown: Madison, WI

Age: 27

It’s 11AM on a Saturday. Where are you? If it’s Game Day, there’s a good chance you’re at The Kollege Klub enjoying kick-off while you chase a basket of cheese curds with a few dollar Jell-O shots and a Pink Drink. If you’re Jordan Meier Saturdays are not the only day you find yourself at The KK before it’s socially acceptable to be drinking. Don’t be fooled if you see him behind the bar or blending in with Kollegians on a Friday Night. As the third generation owner of The Kollege Klub, Jordan is the one who keeps things running smoothly, ensuring that The KK remains a Madison staple for years to come.

What’s the history of The Kollege Klub?

My grandfather opened The Kollege Klub in 1953 with his brother. His brother was eventually bought out by my grandfather, my grandfather was eventually bought out by my father. They each owned it for about 30 years and then I bought the Kollege Klub from my father about three years ago. So it’s always been a Meier.

Why did you want to go into the bar business?

I think it fit’s my personality. I really like working with people, around people, and managing people. I get to work with my family every single day. I’ve worked with my grandfather, my father, my brother, and my mother, so that was really important to me but it’s also a really fun way to make a living.

What’s the best part about owning a bar in a college town?

The best part is probably the people, the loyal customers, the relationships I develop with them and the friends that I meet. I’ve met some of my best friends here.

What’s the most challenging part?

The people! For sure. Especially in a college town, you see, experience, and deal with things that you never imagine people would find rational or reasonable. It’s challenging but that’s also one of the reasons why I like it.

What’s the funniest thing you’ve seen happen at The KK?

Definitely some of the slip and falls. Fortunately, we haven’t had any major injuries but the next day it provides a pretty good laugh. There’s been some pretty comical slips.

What’s your most memorable moment at The KK?

The most memorable moment for me at The Kollege Klub is probably the night that the hockey team won the National Championship in 2006. That was the night of all nights for me in my time here so far.

What’s the most valuable thing you’ve learned?

Patience. Among staff, customers, business relationships with banks. Across the board patience has been really valuable. 

Who is your biggest inspiration?

A combination of my father and my grandfather. They’re two completely different people but the two of them have taught me more than anyone else in this crazy world.

What’s the most annoying thing customers do?

Poor bar etiquette in general whether it’s being rude or disrespectful to the employees or just not knowing general etiquette like how to order drinks or paying for drinks.

What do you look for in an employee?

In terms of personality we want people that are not overly social but well connected. Personality that is conducive to this atmosphere and that can tolerate the full spectrum of customers, interactions, and situations that they find themselves in.

What’s your drink of choice?

Miller Lite and Avion

What’s your favorite item on the menu?

Klub Chicken Sandwich

What about the cheese curds?!

If I had been eating those since I was 18 I would be 350 pounds. When you it every day it loses it’s appeal eventually.

What do you see for the future of The KK?

I see The Kollege Klub remaining pretty similar to what it is now, continuing what we do best and staying loyal to the customers that are loyal to us. There’s a lot that can happen but I would like to see the Kollege Klub remain with the Meiers. I’m taking it one day at a time, my dad and grandfather set the table with 30-year runs but we will have to see what comes for me.

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com