Campus Celebrity: Jillian Weintraub

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

UW-Madison sophomore and International Studies major, Jillian Weintraub, has had a connection with Israel since the first time she visited. Through her work in the Madison Israel Club, she has claimed the title of co-president, and has made strides with growing the club. She has been selected to participate in a selective summer internship program in Tel Aviv, Israel, where she will stay after going on a birthright trip. Her mission on campus includes spreading knowledge and awareness of the State of Israel.

When was the first time you went to Israel, and how did the experience make its mark?

I first visited Israel in 2008 with family and friends in honor of my bat mitzvah. I was originally afraid to visit because of things I saw on the news, but immediately felt connected once I got there and I’ve been obsessed ever since!

What drives your passion for Israel? Did visiting play a part, or did you feel a connection to this place before?

I’ve always felt a connection to Israel because both of my parents are huge Israel advocates, but my passion truly began when I visited for the first time. More recently, there has been a lot of talk about Israel on the national news and on college campuses across the United States, making me feel that much more passionate to educate others about Israel’s need to exist.

How did you first get involved in the Madison Israel Club and evolve to becoming one of the presidents?

Last semester, a friend of mine brought me to the first Madison Israel Club meeting ever. I learned so much about Israel in the span of one meeting. I was interested right away and joined the board as the secretary. When the founding president graduated at the end of the semester, my co-president Josh Mendelowitz and I took over.

Where do you see the Madison Israel Club going in the future, including its influence on campus?

We look forward to hosting many interesting and knowledgeable speakers about Israel advocacy. We also hope to expand our audience to a variety of students and faculty beyond our pro-Israel base. Recently, we have been working with Badgers for Israel (another pro-Israel organization on campus). Together, we hope to educate students so that they join us in advocating for Israel in the future.

How will you be spending your time in Israel this summer?

This summer, I will be participating in an internship program in Tel Aviv with other college students. I’m really looking forward to spending such an extended period of time in Israel so that I can improve my Hebrew language skills and learn more about the State of Israel itself. I can’t wait to share my experience with my peers and with Madison Israel Club when I return to UW for the fall semester!

Want to learn more about the Madison Israel Club? Make sure to attend a meeting or contact Jillian Weintraub for more information! 

Hi everybody! I'm Kerry, a freshman at UW-Madison majoring in Journalism with a Digital Studies certificate. I am passionate about writing about all things beauty, love, and many other fascinating facets of life. I'd love for you to join me as I write about my journey through college!
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!