Campus Celebrity: Erica Oldenburg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity, Erica Oldenburg, head coordinator of UW-Madison’s original hip-hop dance crew, Hypnotiq. Not only is this celeb smart, funny and cute, but her dance moves are hypnotizing!  

What is your major? Nursing

Tell us about Hypnotiq.

Hypnotiq is a co-ed hip hop crew on campus. We have UW-Madison, MATC, and Edgewood students who participate in it. This year we have 22 (awesome) members on the team. Hypnotiq choreographs all of our own material. We perform at a lot of campus associated events and benefits as well as non campus associated venues, like Plan-B and Liquid.

This is your fourth year as a member of HypnotiqHow has the team changed since you were a freshman?

I think Hypnotiq has really evolved on campus and in the community throughout my four years on the team. My freshmen year we mainly did smaller performances and benefits. Now we do outreach programs with organizations like the Boys and Girls Club and we have done some bigger performances on campus. One of Hypnotiq’s favorite performances is the UW Women’s Volleyball game. As one of the few four year members on the team, I’ve also really enjoyed getting to watch the other members grow as dancers and make their own impact on Hypnotiq’s style.   

What is it like being head coordinator this year and what have you gained from your experience so far?

I was really nervous to be head coordinator because I am not exactly known for my organization and responsibility skills and now I’m in charge of running an entire team and all of the tasks that come along with that. But so far so good! I’ve gained A LOT of respect for my executive board, I would be completely lost without them and they are awesome! It has also really made me appreciate everything those before me have put into the team to make it what it is today.

Is it ever challenging to balance school, work and Hypnotiq throughout the year?

Absolutely. My roommates get to deal with my mental breakdowns at least once a week. S/O to 444. 

What’s your favorite part about the team?

My favorite thing about the team is definitely the people. I have gotten to meet so many phenomenal people each year from such different dance backgrounds and have made friendships that will last long past college. Plus we have a lot of fun :) 

What’s your favorite dance routine you’ve choreographed?

I don’t know if I would say that I have a favorite one, but as a choreographer it is really cool to see what you’ve created come to life. It’s like a proud mom feeling.

Do you have any goals for the organization?

The past few years, Hypnotiq has been working really hard to develop our name within the community and my goal for this year was to continue that. I’m really excited to come back as an alumni and watch them continue to grow as an organization next year!

Is there a way for someone who doesn’t have a lot of dance experience to be involved in the organization?

ABSOLUTELY! We have try outs in the fall and don’t require any dance experience to be on the team. If you miss try outs or just want to learn a few little pieces, Hypnotiq has three free workshops for the public to attend every semester. They are taught by a member of Hypnotiq and no dance experience is required. They are typically an hour long and always a blast! Our next one is on February 12th! (4:30 PM in the Festival Room at Memorial Union if anyone is interested!)

Tell us a little bit about your Spring Showcase.

The showcase is our main event. Throughout the fall and spring semester, members of the team choreograph a total of 8 routines and 6 workshops that we put together into one big production. We also invite a handful of other student organizations, like Bhangra and acapella groups as guest performers. All of our family and friends come for our last hoorah together as a team.

This year it is on Friday, April 22nd! We usually hold it in the Great Hall, but we are upgrading this year to Shannon Hall, so anyone reading this COME HELP US FILL UP THOSE SEATS! (It’s a great show and 100% free!) 

What has been your favorite Hypnotiq memory since you joined the team your freshman year?

I would have to say performing at the WACPC High School State Dance Competition my freshman and sophomore year as guest performers. I used to compete there in high school, so it was awesome to get the chance to go back and perform there again. It was also great being able to spread the word to many high school dancers that there are ways to stay involved with dance in college other than the school’s dance team.

When are Hypnotiq tryouts and how can people join the team?

We have tryouts at the beginning of each fall semester, typically beginning/mid September! To learn more about them you can find us at the student org fair or like us on Facebook (twitter and Instagram are acceptable too)! We post all of the information about dates, times, location, etc. on Facebook closer to the tryout dates. We don’t require any experience to join the team and as I said earlier, we are co-ed! We also hold informational meetings at the beginning of September to learn more about the tryout process and team in general! If you have any interest, please come check us out! You will not regret it! 

If you’re looking to improve your twerking skills, look no further than Hypnotiq!

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!