Campus Celebrity: Ben Trapp

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The Wisconsin Club Tennis Team is stocked with a crazy amount of talent. Making the team is an awesome accomplishment in itself. Our Campus Celeb of the week, Ben Trapp, is not only a member of the team, but he is also President of the club. His passion for UW and the sport is woven deeper into his life than one would expect, which is what makes him such an exceptional leader of the team.

Name: Ben Trapp

Year: Senior

Major: Neurobiology/Pre-Dental

Campus Involvement: Wisconsin Club Tennis Team, Pre-Dental Society

(MF) How did you first get involved with tennis?

(BT) Interestingly, I was never really into tennis. Growing up, I was big into soccer and basketball. However, my dad had always been a great tennis player. When I was in 7th grade, he passed away from cancer. Going into 8th grade, I decided to give the game of tennis a try. I thought my dad would be proud to see me do well at the sport and it would give my mom a way to remember him through me. Never did I think it would become such a heavy influence in my life. Since then I have played on the high school team all four years and outside competitively. I knew that I wanted to keep playing in college and was aware that UW had some type of competitive team. While there are a million reasons to come to Madison, this was one of mine. I was stunned at the number of kids at the tryout and the amount of talent on the team. I feel extremely lucky to have made the team my freshman year and to have met such great people. 

(MF) What are your duties as captain of the club tennis team?

(BT) Ha, where do I start? As president, my main focus is to make sure that everyone is getting the most out of their club tennis experience-and not feeling left out. It is important that everyone on our team gets to know one another and make lasting friendships. I am in charge of organizing our tournament schedule, corresponding with our governing body, and running board meetings. In addition, we host one of then nations largest club tennis tournaments right here in Madison! The “Badger Classic” is a 32 team tournament held at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium at the end of October/beginning of November. My duties involve putting together and running the tournament. However, in the end, my efforts would be nothing without my executive board and team. The executive board does so much to make Wisconsin one of the best functioning teams in the nation. The quality of people on my team makes being President the fun and rewarding role that it should be. I couldn’t be luckier to be the voice of such a great group of friends, who make my role easier than it could be.

(MF) Some of the team just went on a trip to South Carolina, were you able to join? How did the team do?
(BT) The team took a road trip down to Hilton Head, South Carolina for the USTA Tennis Campus Fall Invitational. This event is probably the second largest event next to the National Championship. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to go! I was extremely disappointed I couldn’t join the team, especially since it’s my senior year. The trip started out Wednesday after school with some shenanigans on the long car ride. 10 movies and 18 hours later they arrived in SC at one of the top 5 world tennis resorts, Palmetto Dunes. With a hotel room looking out onto the ocean, they knew Coach Trapp had set them up to have an awesome time. After three days of tennis, beachside fun in the sun, and poolside rays, the team finished 2nd in the Bronze bracket-which is no easy feat. Our team made countless connections with other teams (Wisconsin Club tennis is known for being the most friendly and fun group of players) and definitely made countless memories and jokes they won’t forget.

(MF) Do you plan on continuing to play tennis after college?

(BT) I definitely hope to keep playing tennis after college. I’ve been playing it for 9 years and have worked pretty hard at it so I don’t want to give it up until severe arthritis sets in. I’m really hoping that if I get into dental school, their college will have a club tennis team. We play Marquette quite a bit so I think it would be ironic to be on their squad. However, considering my great affection for Wisco club tennis, I cannot be certain that I would have the heart to take down my former team ;)

(MF) How has being apart of the team impacted your experience at UW-Madison?

(BT) Club tennis at Wisconsin has made my college experience. Some folks have fraternities, sororities, or other clubs that play a large part in their social life. Club tennis has completely filled that role and much more. Our team has parties, goes out to eat, and tailgates for football games. I like to think that the club tennis team at Wisconsin has taken on a family like culture in comparison to so many other teams that only function to play tennis. Everyone on the team is friends with one another and can have a conversation with essentially anyone. I have made so many great friends at Madison and can thank club tennis for it. 

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com