Campus Celebrity: Adam Britt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Campus Celebrity: Adam Britt

Year: Junior

Major: Real Estate & Spanish

Campus Involvement: Sigma Chi Fraternity, Real Estate Club, and Electronic Music Production Club

It’s safe to say that a night out would not be the same with out the right music. Whether you’re pre-gaming at your apartment or sipping on a pink drink at the KK a good playlist makes the night complete. Musically gifted Adam Britt knows all about this, and gives us the scoop on what it’s like to be a DJ this week as our campus celebrity.

What compelled you to become a DJ?

My grandparents would bring me to the symphony a lot when I was little. When I turned five, I started piano lessons. At age 12, I learned to play guitar and trumpet, and my senior year in high school I played euphonium. So the love and understanding of music has always been there. In high school, I would mess around with audio programs and got a set of turntables for Christmas. Then I got my first few gigs, and it slowly escalated from there!

How do you organize your music, and how big is your playlist for a typical event?

I organize my playlists by year and by purpose. I get really OCD with it sometimes, spending way too much time organizing. But it’s nice when I’m playing an event and everything is sorted and easy to find. I have 12 playlists that I pull from when I’m DJing from the KK, and each one contains around 200 songs.

Where/when do you usually DJ?

I DJ at the Kollege Klub on Friday and Saturday nights from 11pm until close, and also on some weeknights here and there. I recently opened for OOKAY at Segredo, and I’ll be playing for a few private events throughout the semester.

How do you get your inspiration?

When I’m mixing live, I get it from the spirit of the crowd.

Song requests: annoying or acceptable?

As long as there’s mutual understanding, I don’t mind them. Requests make the intuitive guesswork easier for me. It’s only annoying when people whine or bother me repeatedly. I rarely make guarantees, but I always give requested songs extra consideration. 

Any go-to songs that never seem to fail?

Sure! Here are a few off the top of my head:

No Diggity (Bondax Edit) – Blackstreet

You Make My Dreams – Hall & Oates

Ignition (Remix) – R. Kelly

Stacy’s Mom (Singularity x Robotic Pirate Monkey Remix) – Fountains of Wayne

TaKillya – Vinnie Maniscalco

Animals (Instant Party! Remix) – Martin Garrix

Crocodile Rock – Elton John

Suga Suga – Baby Bash

What’s your post-college DJ career outlook?

Your guess is as good as mine. I’m definitely going to keep producing and DJing as long as I can. If I were ever in a position where DJing and production could provide a sustainable income, I would gladly put my career on hold to pursue music. But realistically, I see it as more of a passion than a career.

Want a taste of DJ Britt’s music outside of the bar scene? Check him out on SoundCloud here!

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com