Campus Celebrities: Andrea Watkins & Becca Greenberg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Thanksgiving is over, you know what that means? Christmas! Believe it or not, Christmas is approaching fast, and what better way to get into the holiday spirit than with the classical Christmas drama It’s A Wonderful Life? The University Department of Theatre and Drama put on a production of It’s A Wonderful Life: a Live Radio Play featuring leading leading ladies Andrea Watkins and Becca Greenberg. Andrea (below, left) is a junior majoring in Communication Arts-Radio, Television, and Film with a certificate in Environmental Studies. Becca (below, right) is also a junior, majoring in Human Development and Family Studies with a certificate in Studio Art. 

Her Campus caught up with the stars to learn about their performance careers and their most recent play, It’s a Wonderful Life: a Live Radio Play.  

What is It’s A Wonderful Life: a Live Radio Play about?

AndreaIt’s A Wonderful Life: a Live Radio Play is a show about the impact you have on other people in your life! Every single person you meet, interact with, and love is deeply impacted by your presence. I think It’s A Wonderful Life really encourages people to think about how much of an impact they make on the lives of those around them. You’re important, and you’ve made a difference in so many people’s lives, even if you may not feel that way!

BeccaIt’s A Wonderful Life: a Live Radio Play is about George Bailey, a man living in his small hometown of Bedford Falls, New York in the 1940s. Ever since he was a kid, George has wanted to get out of his hometown and go travel the world, but some issues arise that cause him to stay in Bedford Falls and take over his father’s business. George’s bravery, selflessness, and kind heart shine through to help his friends in need, but he makes many sacrifices to do so. Our show takes place in a 1950s radio studio, where a group of voice actors are performing It’s A Wonderful Life as a live radio play on Christmas day. It’s a wonderful story packed full of emotion, loveable (and not so loveable) characters, and incredible live sound effects created by our Foley sound artists!

What is your role in the performance?

Andrea – I am actually quite a few different women! One of my characters is Violet, the “small town siren”. She’s a bit of a flirt, but she has a good heart and strives to be an entertainer. I also play George’s mother, Mary’s mother, the bank examiner, two of George’s daughters, and a couple of other characters as well.

Becca – I play Sally Applewhite, the voice actress who plays the character Mary Hatch in the radio play. Mary Hatch is George’s love interest, and eventually, his wife.

If you could describe your character in one word, what would it be and why?

Andrea – I think I’d say Violet might be a little misunderstood. She comes off as  flirtatious and maybe a little over the top, but I think she’s just a big city girl with dreams different from what she can find in small town Bedford Falls, and that’s something else the show touches on. A lot of characters end up leaving town as they grow up, but they’re always there for their family and friends. This goes to show that you can follow your dreams, but always remember the people back home.

Becca – If I could describe Mary Hatch in one word, it would be nurturing. She has loved George Bailey ever since she was kid, and when they get married, she stands with him through thick and thin. She prays for him in time of trouble, and raised their children when George is out working long days. She makes a large effort to help her husband get back on his feet, and very evidently cares endlessly for her family.

How long have you been involved in theatre?

Andrea – Oh man, well I got to play Maria Montessori in a musical about her life when I was in 5th grade and I haven’t really stopped since then! I did musicals and plays all throughout high school and was on the improv team. In the summer you can probably find me at Comedy Sportz Milwaukee with some pretty funny people! There’s such a rush that comes from performing and getting to tell stories that make people laugh or cry or to just think about something other than their crazy lives for a little bit.

Becca – I have been involved in theatre since I was a little one. I started out doing acting camps and clinics in the summers, and then went on to act in middle school shows, high school shows, and some community theatre, including a handful of shows with my high school youth group, and Top Hat Theatre Company in Minneapolis.

Have you been in other productions here on campus?

Andrea – Yes, my freshman year I was in the University Theatre’s Theatre for Young Audiences show At the Ark at 8. I was a penguin, flippers and all. It was a treat, especially for my first college theatre experience. We got to travel and perform at Frank Lloyd Wright’s Taliesin after our run on campus which was such an amazing experience! I’ve also been in the 10 Minute Play Festival which is always super fun.

Becca – Last spring, I played Merriman in the Undergraduate Theatre Association’s production of The Importance of Earnest. It has been really fun working with director Jim Stauffer and stage manager Darby Fitzsimons again, and even a few old cast mates! I truly miss the British accents.

In It’s a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Show, you are required to voice multiple characters. What’s that like?

Andrea – I’ve never had to do voice work before and this has definitely been a challenge, but a rewarding one! Working with our vocal coach, Michael Cobb, was super helpful because it’s difficult to make each character completely unique, so finding those little elements that differentiate each character was key! It’s definitely exciting and really fun to be able to voice so many different characters. It’s not an opportunity I’ve been given before, so I love the challenge of getting to develop multiple characters at the same time.

Becca – Besides my contribution during crowd scenes, my only character is Mary Hatch. A challenge I faced was figuring out how I wanted to change my voice when I was playing Mary as a kid, versus Mary as a teen, and finally as an adult. I had a lot of fun playing around with little kid voices, and the contrast between Mary’s kid voice and her adult voice is pretty prominent.

Which character in the show do you relate to most?

Andrea – I’d probably have to say I relate a lot to George Bailey. I definitely want to go places in life and do big and exciting things, but at the end of the day, I’d do absolutely anything for my friends and family and I know they’d do anything for me too. Ultimately, I think having those ride or die people in your life is hands down the most important thing, which is something that George realizes throughout the show!

Becca – I would say I relate most to Clarence Oddbody, George’s guardian angel. Sometimes he’s naïve, but his eagerness to learn and positively impact those around him make him very loveable. He’s just a 200-year-old angel with a childish charm trying to do good for society and earn his wings by helping George see just what a wonderful life he has – what could be more relatable? *cue groan for alluding to the title of the play*

If you could choose to play another character in the show, who would it be and why?

Andrea – Oh my goodness, I love Uncle Billy! He’s so sweet and he really tries his best, but just can’t seem to get it right. He’s such a goofball, but also so sincere and I love that about him. I would love being able to play such a soft-hearted, wacky character. I really love playing silly roles. I feel like a lot of times, those roles aren’t usually written for women, but I love comedy and getting to show off my sense of humor on stage and Uncle Billy is all that and a little more. Once you see the show you’ll know what I mean. He’ll steal your heart, I promise!

Becca – If I could play another character in the show, it would have to be Mr. Henry F. Potter, “the richest and meanest man in all the country”. I have never been cast as a villain, so I think it would be pretty fun to give that a shot. I do a pretty scary evil laugh!

Did you grow up watching It’s A Wonderful Life around the holidays? If so, how does the movie version compare with this live action radio play?

Andrea – Yes! My family always watched the movie this time of year, so before the play started I knew it by heart! Obviously they couldn’t keep every part of the movie in the play, so there are a few differences but the story is definitely still there. I think all of the guys do such a great job of taking bits and pieces from the original movie characters and making them their own. The voice and character work everyone put into the show definitely pays off, making these classic characters come to life on stage!

Becca – I did not grow up watching It’s A Wonderful Life around the holidays, but, having seen it multiple times in the past, I think the storyline presented in the live radio play is a pretty good representation of the film. A lot of the lines are the same, though the radio play has a few adaptions in order to incorporate more characters into the story. It’s the same holiday classic you know you love, with just a few merry twists!

So much work has gone into making this production extremely immersive for the audience. Our director, Jim, is a genius. He’s created something so beautiful with this show. Our set it absolutely beautiful, the lighting and Foley artists do an amazing job, the costumes are perfectly 1940’s, and everyone, including the stage managers, are so fun to work with. Stephen, Kyle, Sam, Paul, and Becca are incredible actors and amazing people. There’s no one else I’d choose to spend all this time with!” – Andrea 

Photo Credit: Beau Meyer

Hi, my name is Alexandria Chapes and I am a senior at UW-Madison. I am majoring in Theatre and Drama as an Acting Specialist with a certificate in Digital Studies. I enjoy writing in my spare time, especially about theatre, because it is a world unknown to many that I loving sharing with others!
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!