Bringing the 90s Back This Spring with 9 Great Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Thinking back to the 90s, most of us were too young to make our own fashion decisions. We really didn’t *uh hum* understand what was ‘in’ for fashion; most of our knowledge comes from our favorite 90s shows we watched growing up. Luckily, in fashion, everything that was once ‘in’ comes back. Dust off your jelly shoes and scrunchies, and get ready to rock these nine 90s trends this spring!

1. Hoops

Now that chokers have come and gone, consider adding this 90s staple back into your wardrobe!

2. Track Pants

Remember when you’d go shopping at Limited Too with your mom and beg her to buy you the matching tracksuit? Thanks to athleisure, the Limited Too look is now coming back. Consider swapping out your leggings for a new pair of sleek track pants on a chilly spring morning.

3. Overalls

Overalls are a 90s favorite. You just can’t seem to watch an episode of Friends or Full House without catching a glimpse of these! Already thinking about what outfit you want to rock at Mifflin this spring? Consider a cute pair of overalls with another 90s staple — the crop top!

4. Denim Skirts

Remember when you used to wear these with leggings underneath? Ditch the leggings this spring, and treat yourself to a new jean skirt!

5. Oversized Denim jackets

This is probably the one thing that will never go out of style — so consider purchasing one now! You’ll wear it forever, especially in the spring when all you really need is a light jacket to get by!

6. Scrunchies

They were big in the 80s, they were big in the 90s, and they’re still big now!

7. Turtlenecks

I’m not sure why these ever went out of style, considering how comfortable they are. Don’t dismiss turtlenecks as a winter-only trend. There are a lot of cute mock neck turtlenecks coming out this spring and summer!

8. Plaid

In the 90s, plaid and grunge was all the rage. Plaids are coming back now, and it’s better than ever. Consider swapping your plaid flannel for something different. Plaid pants anyone?

9. Scrunchy Shirts

And here you thought scrunchies only belonged in your hair! If this style of top doesn’t bring back some extreme 90s nostalgia, I don’t know what will! With so many fun prints and colors coming out this spring, the possibilities are endless!

Next time you’re bingeing on a 90s classic, you might get more than just laughs from the show; you might pick up some serious outfit inspiration as well!

Hi, I'm Abby Coppens, a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison. I'm pursuing a degree in Economics and Retail. In my free time, I really enjoying hanging out with my friends and family, doing homework, biking, and reading. I'm the biggest friends fanatic on the planet. Go Badgers!