Break into Spring Style (Without Breaking the Bank)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The weather in Wisconsin these days may be all over the place, but we want to help you dress up while keeping the price down.

Here is a guide to the top spring staples (and the best place to buy them):

1. Mom Jeans – $69 – Urban Outfitters

You can’t go wrong with this 80s fashion statement. As many celebrities have proven to us, you can dress these jeans up or down and still look fabulous. To go even bolder, pair these jeans with fishnet tights underneath. It may sound crazy, but it’s an edgy look that can even keep you warmer with an extra under-layer.

2. Sheer Mesh Tops – $19 – Brandy Melville

Whether you’re going to a fancy dinner, having a night out with the gals, or going on a hot date, sparkly sheer tops are a perfect way to dress to impress, while keeping it classy and warm this spring. These tops also help show those super cute bralettes you’ve invested in. It’s a win-win with sheer mesh.

3. Embroidered Bomber Jacket – $30 – Forever 21

Shocker: florals in spring, I know. But, whether it be jeans, shirts, skirts, or really anything, floral embroidery is always a solid investment to keep up with chic trends this spring. It’s a classic look that’ll brighten up any ensemble.

5. Baseball Caps – $15 – Brandy MelvilleBaseball caps aren’t just our favorite solution for bad hair days. They’re also a super trendy, boyish chic accessory trending this season. From all the different fabrics, colors, and logos to choose from, you can always find the perfect cap to match your style (and spare your hair from any humidity you may be facing this spring!).

6. Floral Booties – $40 – Topshop (Offers a student discount!)

Say goodbye to your solid-colored winter boots, and hello to these fun, floral booties. Again, floral patterns for spring are always a good idea. So, why not bring that trend down to your toes?

7. Denim Jackets – $40 – ASOS (Offers a student discount!)

Denim jackets will probably never go out of style. Ever. Cropped, oversized, embroidered, your mom’s from the ‘80s—you name it. You can always depend on denim jackets to enhance any outfit.

8. Gaucho Belt – $15 – Amazon

This uniquely styled belt is changing the fashion game of music festivals everywhere. From Coachella to Lollapalooza, there’s sure to be various style icons pairing these belts with high-waisted shorts or billowy spring dresses.

9. ReflectiveSunglasses-$14-Tobi

You cannot go wrong with a new pair of reflective sunglasses! They look great on and great in pictures, so why not spice up your Instagram with a selfie in polarized shades?

With the addition of any of these spring pieces, you’re bound to show off some of your best outfits this spring. Better yet, you can do so without spending a fortune.

I am a freshman at UW-Madison seeking majors in Communication Arts and Strategic Communications!
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!