8 Ways to Stay Safe at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Recently, more universities have focused on increasing education about campus safety, ranging from providing information about alcohol and drug abuse to sexual assault. Although programs like Tonight do an amazing job of providing a brief overview of how to best protect yourself and friends during the typical 4-6 years spent at a university, they don’t (and can’t) cover everything. But, don’t fear, because here are eight tips that will help you and your campus steer clear of the Brock Turners of the world (along with any other abuser you might run into).

1. Lock your doors at night.

Not only will this prevent your belongings from being stolen, but it’ll also keep drunken creeps from wandering into your room when you and your roommate(s) are asleep. 

2. Keep emergency numbers stored in your phone.

It’s also helpful to know that campus police are right at your fingertips. Even if you never have to use them (which I sure hope you don’t), it’s reassuring to know that those important numbers are there just in case. Taking five minutes to put them all in your phone might just save your life someday, or even someone else’s. Some emergency numbers that might be of help are at the bottom of the article.

3. Travel in groups whenever possible.

Remember that there is safety in numbers. Especially if you go out at night or you go somewhere that you’ve never been to before, bring a friend. While it will definitely make you seem like less of a target to any mischief-maker, you also can get some quality bonding time with your bestie. Life’s all about making lemonade out of lemons, right? In the case where your friends are too busy and you’re all alone, you can always call SAFEwalk. Students work for the university and are able to walk you wherever you need to go, and it’s an amazing resource if you ever need it. In case you don’t already have it in your phone, the number for SAFEwalk is 1-608-262-5000.

4. Take a self-defense class.

Many college campuses offer free or reduced-rate self-defense classes so students can stay safe on campus. During September and October, UW-Madison has many opportunities to attend free self-defense classes (be warned, the spots fill up quickly). While the classes are mainly aimed towards women, the knowledge gained during them can be helpful to anyone. Besides the fact that they might save you from a risky situation someday, being able to say that you know kickboxing or Krav Maga will totally give you bragging points, and you’ll definitely be the coolest person in your philosophy discussion.

5. Stay alert.

Although you might want to blare music or text when you’re walking back from a club meeting or a late-night study session, those distract you from your surroundings. Unfortunately, a lot of perpetrators look for potential victims based off of who isn’t paying close attention to the world around them. It’s a lot easier to hurt someone when they’re caught off guard, so it’s best to keep your eyes open. 6. Arm yourself.

Just because open carry is legal at age 18 doesn’t mean it’s your best option (and weapons like firearms are banned in most if not all college buildings). However, items like whistles and pepper spray exist for a reason. Personally, pepper spray is an amazing weapon if you know how to use it without having it being used against you. Even if you don’t have any of those items, keys and heavier items like umbrellas can be used in an last-minute emergency.

7. Download safety apps.

The really great thing about living in a technological age is that it’s so useful, and it’s definitely true in this case. People have created apps that allow you to immediately contact the police if you’re in danger, and most of them include phone trackers. Some personal favorites are SafeTrek and Companion, both of which track your location and allow you to alert authorities if you think you’re in danger. Plus they’re free, so why wouldn’t you download one?

8. Follow your instincts.

If a house party seems really sketchy or you feel uncomfortable in a situation, get out of there ASAP. It might seem silly or paranoid at the time, but it’s better to leave and wish you didn’t instead of stay and wish you’d left. Chances are, if a situation doesn’t feel right to you, it’s because it probably isn’t.

Don’t forget to watch out for each other. The world is a pretty scary place and you could help someone make it a little less scary. And, who knows, maybe they’ll return the favor. Talk about teamwork.

Emergency Numbers Worth Having:

SAFEwalk: 1-608-262-5000

UW Police Department (Non-Emergency): 1-608-264-2677

Emergency: 911

Also, make sure to keep the numbers of your friends, family, and those you trust in your phone!

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!