8 Ways to Have Fun When It’s Freezing Outside

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The cold isn’t for everyone. In fact, it isn’t for most people. Unluckily for us UW-Madison students, we are in for some of the worst and longest winters. With snow coming just a week or two away, it’s going to get harder and harder to have fun outside. With that in mind, here are some ways to have fun even when it’s freezing outside.

1. Start binge-watching a new show

What better way to distract yourself in the midst of studying for midterms and finals than starting a new show?

2. Plan a skiing trip…

For those of you looking to embrace the snow and the cold, plan a ski trip with your friends! Plan for either a day in a location nearby or for a week during break out of state.

3. … Or a tropical vacation

If you’re like most Wisconsinites, you’ll want to get as far away from the cold as possible over winter break. Consider planning for an affordable getaway with your friends or family.

4. Host a cooking or baking competition

Embrace your inner Gordon Ramsay and host your very own Master Chef. Try a Christmas cookie or Thanksgiving recipes!

5. Take a trip to the city during Christmas

Wherever you live, take a trip downtown or to the nearest city! You can go shopping and ice skating, or drink coffee and visit a museum.

6. Exercise at home…

Yes, it’s possible to working out at home. Find some pilates, yoga or Zumba workouts on YouTube. See, you can get fit without leaving the house.

7. … Or catch up on sleep

Not many things compare to getting home from class and sneaking into your warm bed on a freezing cold day. Winter is the perfect time and weather for some guilt-free naps.

8. But if you’re one of the few who actually wants to go outside, do some winter activities!

That means sledding, ice skating, building snowmen and forts, making snow angels and getting into snowball fights. The snow enables all kinds of fun outdoor activities — even though it ruins pretty much everything else.

You may never learn to love it, but the cold is an unavoidable struggle of living in Wisconsin. Whether you’re one to stay inside and avoid it, or go out and embrace it, there are plenty of things to do in the freezing cold weather of winter.

Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!