8 Facts You Need To Know About Anastasia the Musical

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

If you haven’t heard by now, one of our childhood favorite musical movies is coming to Broadway: and it’s Anastasia! The musical is an adaption of the animated movie, which was about an amnesiac young woman named Anya, who is in search of her family roots. Anya teams up with a very handsome young man named Dimitri, who slowly starts to crush on her during their search for information on Anya’s past. Of course, you can’t forget about the evil Rasputin, who uses his sorcery to wreak havoc on Anya’s journey for answers. Here are some facts that you must know before going to see the musical (or re-watching the movie).1. Though I already touched on this, the musical is an adaption of the animated movie!

2. Anastasia began previews on Broadway March 23rd, and opened on April 24at in the Broadhurst Theatre.

3. The show is led by leading actress Christy Altomare as Anastasia, and supporting actors Derek Klena as Dmitry and Ramin Karimloo as Gleb.

4. Ramin Karimloo’s character Gleb is a new character created specifically for the musical, replacing the film character of Rasputin and also giving Dmitry some competition for Anya’s heart.

5. The character of Anastasia is based on real-life Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna of Russia, and how it is theorized that she escaped the execution of her family.

6. All of the title songs in the film make their appearance in the musical, along with a couple new additions, such as “In a Crowd of Thousands” and “My Petersburg”.

7. Anastasia the musical has already won seven awards from the Connecticut Critics Circle Awards: Outstanding Director of a Musical, Outstanding Production of a Musical, Outstanding Lead Actress in a Musical, Outstanding Choreography, Outstanding Costume Design, Outstanding Lighting Design, and Outstanding Projection Design.

8. The cast recording of Anastasia will be released in June (and I can’t wait)!Get your tickets and get out to New York because Anastasia is the hot new commodity, it’s filled with mystery, adventure, and the classic love triangle that we all know and love. You’re not going to want to miss this show!

Hi, my name is Alexandria Chapes and I am a senior at UW-Madison. I am majoring in Theatre and Drama as an Acting Specialist with a certificate in Digital Studies. I enjoy writing in my spare time, especially about theatre, because it is a world unknown to many that I loving sharing with others!
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!