7 Foods That Are Surprisingly Not Vegetarian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

No all meat-free product are vegetarian; a plethora of products on the food market are made from meat by-products, which also makes them not vegetarian. Gelatin — which is made from the skin, bones and connective tissue of animals — is one of these meat by-products that gives food a “gummy” consistency. Here are seven meat-free food that are sneakily non-vegetarian. Educate yourself!

1. Marshmallows (gelatin)

If you’re a vegetarian, say goodbye to s’mores. Marshmallows get their squishy consistency from animal gelatin.

2. Starbursts (gelatin)

They may be juicy and taste like fruit; but sadly, they are not vegetarian. These yummy candies also contain gelatin for chewiness. Who knew, right?!

3. Jell-O (gelatin)

Again, gelatin is the culprit.

4. Gummy Bears (gelatin)

Sadly, these yummy candies contain gelatin too. But don’t worry vegetarians, there are plenty of gummy snacks specially made for vegetarians that do not contain gelatin; those candies are both vegetarian- and vegan-friendly.

5. Parmesan Cheese (rennet)

Rennet is an enzyme that lines the stomach of many mammals (specifically cow); it is a meat by-product Parmesan and many other hard cheese carry. Honestly, I did not see this one coming!

6. Twinkies (beef fat)

The fluffy cream you find in the middle of a Twinkies is made of yet another meat by-product: beef fat. Admit it, we were all a little skeptical of Twinkies’ ingredients; but this was a shocker.

7. Babcock Ice Cream (excludes Premium Flavors) (beef extract)

As crazy as it may seem, even UW Madison’s famous Babcock Ice Cream is not made for vegetarians! Many flavors contain beef extract, another meat by-product. But don’t fret, the Premium Babcock Ice Cream flavors are made vegetarian-friendly for all the vegetarian’s on campus to enjoy!

No matter your diet regiment — whether it be vegetarian, vegan, kosher or paleo — it is always important to educate yourself about the foods you are putting in your body. There, here’s your daily dose of education on food.

Eva Gretz

Wisconsin

Eva is currently a Sophomore at the University of Wisconsin- Madison pursing a degree in Biology and a certificate in Global Health, and hopes to venture into med-school in her future. Eva enjoys living a healthy lifestyle, spending time with friends and family, writing, and learning biology, of course. Some of her most favorite things in the world are pickles, clouds, and her miniature golden doodle, Nahla. To see Eva's adorable dog (and much more), follow her on Instagram (@evagretz).