Molly Peach-Girls Laughing At Night
Molly Peach-Girls Laughing At Night
Molly Peach / Her Campus

6 Things I Learned From My Best Friend in the Army

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

All the students abroad are preparing to fly back home as the semester comes to a close. For many, they’ll always remember their time abroad as a new adventure — a time of fun and games; but, that isn’t true for everyone, such as my best friend. My best friend is part of the Israeli Defence Forces, also known as the IDF. It’s already difficult enough for me to have my best friend live over 6,000 miles away; but, it’s especially difficult for me to know that what she’s doing involves weapons and combat. Having a best friend in the army — especially one who’s stationed so far away — is tough; but, I have come to learn many things about what it’s like having a friend in the army.

1. Social media likes and posts will be few and far between.

Instagram posts of Big Ben or the Louvre aren’t on my best friend’s radar. She barely has time to check Instagram, let alone post. Plus, with intense training sessions and the time difference between Israel to Wisconsin, it’s difficult for her to keep up with my social media accounts. But to be honest, that’s the least of my worries.

2. You will constantly find yourself checking to see if your friend is active on social media.

That means constantly checking your Whatsapp, Instagram and Facebook. I find myself checking these apps on a regular basis to see if my best friend is active. She doesn’t have much free time to contact anybody; sometimes, it takes three weeks for her to give me a single reply. Whenever I see that she’s active, I automatically send a “Hi” text in hopes that she sees it.

3. Unless you’re planning on flying to them, it may be a while until you see them.

I almost cried when my best friend told me that she was going to be stationed in Israel for 3 years. I was glad that she was happy with her decision to be in the IDF, but I was also extremely sad that I wouldn’t be in physical contact with her for most of my college career. It’s hard not seeing a friend who’s abroad for a semester, let alone three years. Luckily, my friend surprised me with a visit over Thanksgiving, and I’m planning on seeing her this summer in Israel.

4. Unlike people studying abroad, people in the army don’t have much free time.

Being in the army is a job that takes up almost all 24 hours of each day. You get little sleep, and even less time to check your phone. My friend has a one-hour break each day to shower, look at social media, nap or eat. The only free days are the ones when she’s off duty, which is roughly three times a month.

5. Be sure to appreciate every moment you get to see them or talk to them.

Because of the time difference between Wisconsin to Israel, it’s very difficult to get ahold of my best friend. When I do get ahold of her, I don’t waste the time that I do have to talk to her. I know that she’s extremely busy and limited in time; so even though I want to tell her everything that has happened in my life since we last talked, I tend to abstain from speaking about insignificant moments of my life. The next time I talk to her on the phone may be a month later, so I take in every moment I get.

6. You will never get used to them being dressed head to toe in army gear.

My best friend has to carry her gun on her — and wear olive green camouflage and a bulletproof vest — 24/7. The girl that used to wear crop tops and skinny jeans to school is now sporting camouflage and weaponry. Sure, army green really has been a fashion trend this season. But, army green isn’t fashion for my friend; it’s a lifestyle.

I love my best friend, and I am so proud of her for choosing to help defend Israel. I applaud her and everyone serving for their country, and I applaud families and friends who also have loved ones in the army. My best friend being in the army has taught me to be more grateful for the time I have with people, and I love her even more for teaching me that.

Peri Coskey

Wisconsin '21

Meet Peri! She's a senior majoring in Communication Arts and Sociology with minors in Digital Studies, Gender and Women's Studies and Entrepreneurship. Her favorite things to do are watch Veronica Mars, thrift shop and chill with friends. When Peri is not taking naps, she can be found hanging out with her friends, most likely talking their ears off. Interested in seeing more of Peri's work? Check out pericoskey.com!