6 Places on Campus Your Tour Guide Didn’t Show You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

On a large campus like UW-Madison, it can be hard to fit in all of the wonders that the university has to offer in one tour. So, here are a few amazing places on campus that you may not have heard about, but should definitely know.

1. Arboretum

In the near-west side of Madison lies the university’s own arboretum. This 1,200-acre natural landscape resides on the southern border of Lake Wingra and is a short bus ride away from campus. The Arboretum contains three distinct gardens: the Longenecker Horticultural Gardens, which holds one of the largest lilac displays in North America; the Viburnum Garden, which is home to a variety of species of Viburnum and arborvitae; and the Wisconsin Native Plant Garden which alone includes 15 gardens filled with native plant species. These gardens, along with other woodlands, savannas, prairies and wetlands, are open to explore from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. and is well worth the trip!

2. Law Library

With the abundance of libraries on campus, it can be hard to find the one that best fits your study habits. Situated halfway up Bascom Hill is the Law Library, which is definitely worth checking out! With floor-to-ceiling windows and a wonderful view of Bascom Hill, this library is perfect for your studying needs. This library offers both silent and group study spots and is open to all students, except during Bar Examination study sessions.

3. Lakeshore Nature Preserve

Best known for its feature attraction, Picnic Point, the Lakeshore Nature Preserve is a 300-acre natural expanse that is perfect for students looking for a hiking spot close to campus. It features a variety of different woodland trails, and there is so much more to this preserve than what meets the eye. These trails are perfect for those looking for a peaceful change of scenery, a new path to run on, or even just somewhere to explore.

4. School of Human Ecology

The School of Human Ecology, better known as SoHE, is home to a variety of the university’s design programs, and the building reflects that. Located in Nancy Nicholas Hall, SoHE can be found in between Van Hise and the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. SoHE is not only a vibrant and exciting place to take a break in between classes, it’s also a great place to get a snack, finish some studying or explore (don’t miss the first-floor bathrooms)!

5. Allen Centennial Garden

Open from dawn to dusk year-round, Allen Centennial Garden is a green oasis in the middle of the Lakeshore part of campus. This 2.5-acre lot is home to nearly 22 different gardening styles that surround the historic Dean’s residence and is perfect for a low-impact outdoor adventure. Snag some photos while you’re there—its scenery makes for great photo opportunities!

6. Wisconsin Historical Society

Across from the Memorial Union is the Wisconsin Historical Society (WHS), a building with architecture just as beautiful as its neighbor. Open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Mondays through Thursdays and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays, the library is a popular study spot for students on campus. However, there is more to the WHS than the well-known reading room. Its archive is also home to a vast collection of historical materials, including the second-largest newspaper collection in the nation—only after the Library of Congress. If you find yourself on the hunt for a new study spot or some historical materials, the WHS is definitely worth checking out!

So, whether you’re looking for a new study spot or an outdoor adventure, give a few of these on-campus destinations a try!

Catherine is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin - Madison. She is pursuing majors in both Literature and Education as well as a certificate in Gender and Women's Studies. Catherine enjoys rocking out to indie music, watching Badger basketball games and cuddling with adorable cats. She is incredibly excited to be writing for Her Campus, and cannot wait to bring fun and exciting articles to readers.