5 Ways to Show Gratitude This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

With the holidays quickly approaching, people are starting to reminisce the things and people they are thankful for. Sometimes though, saying “thank you” doesn’t feel like enough, and it prompts people to take creative approaches to show their loved ones their vast appreciation. It’s time to get crafty, and you’re going to kill the game this season with these out-of-this-world gifts. Get ready to spread your gratitude.

1.   Baked Goods

Honestly, who doesn’t love baked goods? Things like cookies, brownies and truffles will put the biggest smile on anyone’s face. If you’re really up for a challenge, get some icing and write a message on your delectable treat.

2.   A Homemade Card

Remember when all of your classmates would pass out homemade cards to each other back in elementary school on Valentine’s Day? It’s time to bring that tradition back! Homemade cards are extremely fun to mak, especially with a group of friends. Plus, handcrafted cards are a lot more meaningful then store-bought ones — for anyone who has scrap-booked before, you understand the dedication. Send your cards out far and wide — spread the love!

3.   A Song

If you have a knack for songwriting, this is the gift you should “make” this season. Spend some time to sit and think about what and who you’re thankful for. After you brainstorm, try putting your thoughts to a melody. If you are particularly musically talented and want to spice up your song, try incorporating instruments like the guitar or the piano. Whether you choose to record your song or serenade live, this will be a gift unlike any others — people won’t forget about it.

4.   A Crocheted Hat/Scarf/Sweater

For anyone whose into the crocheting fad, hats, scarves and sweaters are the perfect gifts to show someone how much you care. There’s something to be said about the time it takes to pick out the yarn and crochet a piece of clothing. It’s also really fun to wear items your friends/family crocheted for you, knowing that they were thinking of you when crafting that particular item.

5.   A Picnic

You might have to save this idea for the spring or the summer, since it’s only going to get colder out from now for a while. But, if you don’t mind amending the idea for cold weather, an indoor picnic can be just as fun! Clear out your living room and make sure to spread out lots of blankets, especially if you’re doing this in the middle of winter. Cook or bake warm foods to feast on, too. Don’t forget to make hot chocolate!

Coming up with something to thank your loved ones can be a big struggle when the holidays roll around. Eventually, you just run out of ideas. But, with homemade gifts like these, you won’t have to worry about spending a ton of money on something arbitrary. The time and dedication you will put into your gifts will be worthwhile in the end.

Hi, my name is Alexandria Chapes and I am a senior at UW-Madison. I am majoring in Theatre and Drama as an Acting Specialist with a certificate in Digital Studies. I enjoy writing in my spare time, especially about theatre, because it is a world unknown to many that I loving sharing with others!