5 Ways to Make Life at UW-Madison a Little Easier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

College can get stressful. If you’re currently a UW student, you already understand the struggle; if you’re an incoming freshman, you’ll soon come to learn about it. However, a few things I’ve learned these past two years have helped me survive the madness that is college life. Practicing these five tips may just make your whole experience flow a little smoother.

1. Enjoy the warm weather while you can.

Living in Wisconsin means that you will never quite know exactly what the weather will be like on any given day . One day it’s 50 degrees and sunny, and the next day it snows six inches. This means you should take advantage of nice days to get outside. There are many gardens and parks on campus that you can visit; but if you’re having a busy day, consider doing something simple like doing homework on Bascom and enjoying a great view of the Capitol. Just get out there and soak up some rays while you can!

2. Figure out how to use the bus.

When I first got my free bus pass, I thought I’d never use it. But then, Bascom Hill got the best of me, and I soon figured out that taking the bus saves a lot of time and energy. The bus can be very confusing the first time you ride it, but it gets easier — I promise!

3. Venture off-campus sometimes.

Yeah, being on campus is nice and all; but you’re missing out on a whole city past the Capitol if you choose to stay downtown. Some of my favorite off-campus spots are Willy Street, West Towne Mall and Marcus Point Cinema. Leaving campus sometimes can relieve stress and remind you that you’re more than just a student. Go explore!

4. Actually go to class.

Sure, skipping classes can be very tempting — and it’s fine to do so every now and then— but chances are, you’ll fall behind if you skip too often. You don’t need to make yourself even more stressed by missing a lecture or discussion. Plus, you’re here to learn— something that you can’t do if you don’t go to class.

5. Most importantly, have fun and enjoy these four years!

UW-Madison is a great school, and your four years will fly by — enjoy the time you have! College is supposed to be the best years of your life, so don’t let stress ruin it. Yes, your studies should come first, but don’t let them get in the way of your happiness.

These five tips take minimal effort but can create a lot of improvement. If you follow these pieces of advice, you may find yourself a little more relaxed and your life in Madison a little bit easier.