jazmin quaynor RBtPAOgHxuI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jazmin quaynor RBtPAOgHxuI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Types of Relationships You’ll See in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s no secret that a good handful of college women take part in some form of relationship with a member of their preferred sex. Of course, kicking butt in school and slaying in life are our priorities as amazing women; but sometimes, we also enjoy the perks of actively engaging in some type of relationship. Throughout your time in college, you’re bound to experience one of these relationships, whether it be the casual friends with (some) benefits or the difficult but oh-so-worth-it long distance relationship.

1. Friends with Benefits

When you’re up late every night writing papers and calculating numbers for your next chem exam, it can be really hard to find the time to go on coffee dates or even simple dinners. Oh well, that’s what friends with benefits are for. See, a friend with benefits can give you all the perks of a regular relationship — but without all the attachments and commitments! Be careful, though, this kind of relationship can get tricky because lust can easily turn into feelings. But, as long as you maintain goals and boundaries, friends with benefits can be very exciting.

2. Long Distance Relationship

Here, we have the old-fashioned long distance relationship (LDR). The LDR has a bad rep for being difficult; but honestly, if you’re in a LDR, more power to you! While a LDR may be tough and time-consuming, it’s a great opportunity to see how you and bae deal with challenges. After all, the adversities that come with it — like the communication barrier and the desire to be near them — are not necessarily all that easy to tackle.

3. Monogamous Relationship

Being in a monogamous relationship signifies that you’re in the final stages of entering into a committed relationship. You’ve displayed your fair share of affection during the honeymoon phase, and you’ve learned to accept each other’s differences during the stability phase. Viola, you two are now a monogamous couple. You’ve seen the highs and lows of your relationship, and you’ve have become fully committed to one another without any hesitations. This relationship may be the rarest because, in full, our lives have only just begun. However, a long-lasting relationship is a possibility you’ll definitely come across at some point in your life.

4. Random Boy/Girl at that One Party

This is perhaps the most common type of “relationship” in college: the spontaneous interaction with the one boy/girl at that one party. You may not remember who the person is and at which party you met him/her; but, you’ll always remember it as being spontaneous and thrilling. Similar to friends with benefits, random hookups serve to satisfy only your senses. Maybe it’s a simple make-out session, or maybe it’s something saucier; whatever it is, that random interaction is probably something you’ll never forget. But, like in all relationships, consent is always important — and it’s always sexy.

5. Single

Finally, we have the relationship that I find the most important: the one with yourself! Being single is one of the most empowering experiences for a woman because it allows you to fall in love with yourself. You’re focusing on your life and your ambitions; you’re embracing college life and kicking booty all on your own. Never underestimate the power of a single woman; one day, she’ll be ruling the world.

These five types of relationships are just some of the many varieties of relationships you’ll experience throughout college. I’m sure that there’s one that we can all relate to. But who knows, maybe you’re about to find yourself in a new type of relationship soon!

Kailla Sam

Wisconsin