5 Quick Healthy Snacks for the College Student On-The-Go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

College is filled with many freedoms, including the freedom to eat whatever you want whenever you want.  However, this can be both a blessing and a curse as the typical college kid’s diet more often than not turns into a diet of Easy Mac and Ramen to accommodate a busy schedule.  Since once can only live off of microwaved foods for so long, here are five quick healthy snacks that are easy to make and great for on the go!

1. Frozen Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Sandwiches

Slice up a few bananas and spread peanut butter on half of the banana slices.  Use the other half of the banana slices to top off the peanut butter covered slices to form a miniature peanut butter banana sandwich.   Place these in the freezer for one hour.  Once they are cold, dip the entire banana sandwich into chocolate (melted chocolate chips or melted chocolate frosting work nicely) and place back in the freezer for at least 3 hours.  This snack is so good that Gwen Stefani would describe it as bananas B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

2. Trail mix

This is a perfect on the go snack to satisfy a sweet and salty craving.  Buy a premade trail mix or customize your own to accommodate to your preferred tastes.  Here are some suggestions to include in the mix:

Nuts: almonds, pistachios, cashews, peanuts, walnuts

Seeds: pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, flax

Dried Fruits: dried apples, cherries, cranberries, goji berries, blueberries, strawberries, apricots, raisins, banana chips, figs, pineapple chunks, mango

Grains: pretzels, whole-grain or wheat cereals, bran flakes, whole-wheat crackers, granola, toasted oats, rice cereal, popcorn

Sweets: M&Ms, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, yogurt-covered raisins, mini marshmallows, chocolate-covered nuts

3. Ants on a Log

Relive the glory days of kindergarten by making this classic snack.  Just add peanut butter to sticks of celery and sprinkle raisins across the top.  Substitute the peanut butter for cream cheese or replace raisins with any other dried fruit for a variation.

4. Veggies & hummus

Hummus is a Mediterranean inspired dish made mainly with chick peas.  Hummus is a great source of protein and fiber and comes in many different flavors and variations.  Once you find a flavor you like, grab your favorite vegetable (like carrots, celery, or red peppers) to dip in the hummus.

5. Smoothie

Smoothies are a great way to get a serving of fruit while still satisfying your sweet tooth.  Substitute Greek yogurt for frozen yogurt for a good source of protein.  Because it’s 5 o’clock somewhere, give this Pina Colada smoothie recipe a shot!

Ingredients:

2/3 cup frozen pineapple chunks

1/3 cup Greek Yogurt

1/2 cup of light coconut milk 

1-2 tbsp shredded coconut

A drop of vanilla extract

1 tsp honey

Place all the ingredients into the blender until smooth and enjoy this scrumptious treat!

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com