5 Apartment Space-Savers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

When I transitioned from my box of a college dorm room to my first apartment, I was ecstatic thinking about all the extra space I would have. However, the reality, as I quickly found out, is that most college apartments don’t offer that much more room than your dorm did, especially if you have more girls living there. For those preparing to move into their first apartment, it’s important to find effective, and cute, ways to store everything you want to bring. Here are 5 space-saving items every collegiate needs in their first apartment.

1. Under-the-bed Storage

Storing extra items under your bed is a great way to save some space in your closet or drawers. However, I’m sure many of us often use the underneath of the bed as a dumping ground for miscellaneous items, and the result can be chaotic. Using storage drawers for under the bed helps keep things organized so you can take advantage of the extra space. This one from Ikea has a sleek modern look and is only $29.99.

2. Double Hangers

Let’s face it–packing light and bringing only what you need are two concepts that most collegiates, including myself, fail to grasp. Having a multiple hanger rack like this one let’s you bring all the clothes you want without taking up so much space.

3. Storage Ottomans

It’s storage disguised as furniture–what’s not to love? Storage ottomans like this one are great places to store random items like cleaning supplies or umbrellas, where they can be easily accessed but aren’t in the way.  

4. Bulletin Boards

Bulletin boards are a must-have item for every college dorm or apartment. Instead of crowding your desk or dresser with picture frames, you can use a bulletin board to pin up all your photos into a collage. They’re also great for hanging up jewelry or accessories, which eliminates the space and clutter of a jewelry box.

5. Over-the-Door Hanging Hooks

Coming from someone who has more hats and purses than I know what to do with, it’s tricky to find a place to store these items that doesn’t take up so much room. Enter over-the-door hanging hooks. These are great for hanging over the inside of your closet door because they can help keep your many hats, purses, and coats organized and out of site.     

By using these little space-savers, you can have your apartment both cute and organized!

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!