jazmin quaynor RBtPAOgHxuI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jazmin quaynor RBtPAOgHxuI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Reasons to Give the Nice Guy a Chance This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Girls. We can be some of the most hypocritical complainers in the world. We complain about other girls gossiping, while we ourselves are gossiping. We complain that we don’t have enough money, but spend ungodly amounts on new eyeliner or lipstick. We complain that we want our boyfriends to treat us right, but we never give the nice guys a fair chance… 

Here’s why you should give the good guys a chance this year:

1. You deserve a man not a boy

Think of your past relationships and the idiots you put up with because you thought you “could change them.” You deserve better! Why date a guy who is always trying to impress his friends when you could date a guy always trying to impress you?

2. Your dad will finally approve

No father likes to see his daughter get hurt over and over again. This time, you’ll have a man you’re proud to bring home. Nothing will feel better than knowing your family finally approves of your love interest.

3. R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Nice guys know how to respect a woman and aren’t threatened by her individuality. And you’ll find that by dating a guy who respects you, you learn to respect yourself a lot more. And even if the relationship doesn’t go long-term, you’ll have a better understanding of what you deserve for the next time around.

4. He’s not embarrassed of you.

One of the greatest things about dating a good guy is that he won’t be judgmental or afraid to do cliché or crazy couple activities with you. Instead of asking you to spend a Friday night cracking beers for him and his bros, the nice guy will take you to dinner, go ice skating, and unashamedly tell his friends he’s busy for the night. A nice guy is proud to be a good boyfriend instead of worried about being called “soft” by his friends.

So whether your finally allowing the guy who has lusted over you since freshman year to break out of the friend zone or you’re finally going to say no to every late night text you get from the same jerk every weekend, make the vow to yourself that 2017 will finally be the year you get the relationship you deserve and maybe, the year nice guys don’t finish last.

UW-Madison • Journalism: Double-tracking Reporting and Strategic Communications with a Certificate in Digital Studies  
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!