12 Current Broadway Stars You Might Recognize From Film and TV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Because it’s much more cost-efficient to pay for Netflix than to see seven Broadway shows a week, the average college theatre enthusiast (such as myself) tends to stay away from Broadway.com so they don’t mourn at the fact that they’ll never be able to afford a single show ticket. Any true Broadway lover has contemplating spending their rent money on a plane ticket and a seat in the Gershwin Theatre for an evening performance of Wicked — trust me, we’ve all been there. But, Broadway isn’t as far away as it seems. There are currently 12 film and TV stars that are slaying the game on ‘The Great White Way’ but are still readily available to you on cable and on Netflix!

1. Alex Newell

Currently: On Broadway in Once on This Island as the goddess Asaka

Most known for: The TV show Glee as Unique Adam

2. Jim Parsons

Currently: On Broadway in The Boys in the Band as Michael

Most known for: The TV show The Big Bang Theory as Sheldon Cooper

3. Lea Salonga

Currently: On Broadway in Once on This Island as the goddess Erzulie

Most known for: The singing voices of Jasmine from Aladdin and Mulan from Mulan

4. Idina Menzel

Currently: On Off-Broadway in Skintight as Jodi

Most known for: The TV show Glee as Shelby Corcoran and the movie Frozen as Elsa

5. Wayne Brady

Currently: On Broadway in Kinky Boots as Lola

Most known for: The TV shows Whose Line is it Anyway? and How I Met Your Mother as James Stinson

6. Laura Dreyfuss

Currently: On Broadway in Dear Evan Hansen as Zoe Murphy

Most known for: The TV show Glee as Madison McCarthy

7. Andrew Garfield

Currently: On Broadway in Angels in America as Prior Walter

Most known for: The movie The Amazing Spiderman as Peter Parker

8. Nathan Lane

Currently: On Broadway in Angels in America as Roy Cohn

Most known for: The movie The Lion King as Timon

9. Denzel Washington

Currently: On Broadway in The Iceman Cometh as Hickey

Most known for: Well… basically everything; but to name a couple, the movies Fences as Troy Maxson and The Magnificent Seven as Sam Chilsom

10. Laurie Metcalf

Currently: On Broadway in Three Tall Women as B

Most known for: The movies Toy Story as Mrs. Davis (Andy’s mom) and Ladybird as Marion McPherson

11. Chris Evans

Currently: On Broadway in Lobby Hero as Bill

Most known for: The movies Captain America: The First Avenger as Captain America and The Fantastic Four as Human Torch

12. Michael Cera

Currently: On Broadway in Lobby Hero as Jeff

Most known for: The TV show Arrested Development as George Michael Bluth and the movie Scott Pilgrim VS the World as Scott Pilgrim

There are so many talented people in film, TV and on Broadway — this list could have gone on forever. A coaxing reminder: who needs to spend $250 when you have all of these amazing actors on your television at home? But, if you’re anything like me and are dying to see a show or two (or all of them) on Broadway, take out and save $10 or so from every paycheck you get from work. Eventually, you’ll have saved enough money to see your dream show — featuring your favorite film and TV actors — on the live stage!

Hi, my name is Alexandria Chapes and I am a senior at UW-Madison. I am majoring in Theatre and Drama as an Acting Specialist with a certificate in Digital Studies. I enjoy writing in my spare time, especially about theatre, because it is a world unknown to many that I loving sharing with others!