This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Spring break gives us a chance to get away from the everyday routine we go through as college students. Although it could be enticing to just sit on your couch for a week and spend time with your friends, there is an even better way to spend some rare free time. Here’s how to get the most out of your seven days; so grab a group of friends and cross one of these recommendations off your bucket list this spring break 2018!

Toes in the Water, Chair in the Sand: Beach Destinations

Although it may not be the most original vacay option, heading to a beach is by far the most popular. Though, I don’t blame people for seeking out warmer weather when the brutal Wisconsin winters linger well into the spring season. However, there are many places to choose from, and it can be overwhelming to find the perfect spot. Lucky for you, I am sharing my top three beach destinations:

1. Nassau, Bahamas

Visiting this capital city is the perfect way to experience a diverse culture without a passport. With many resorts lining the beautiful beaches, there’s sure to be one that fits what you’re looking for. If you choose to take a break from relaxing in the sun, there are also plenty of opportunities to immerse yourself in the local culture: you can try Bahamian cuisine, chat with one of the 250,000 locals or visit some of the city’s British-style landmarks.

2. Miami Beach, Florida

If you are looking for a typical spring break experience with thousands of other college students and crazy nightlife, this would be the option for you! Although it can be a bit difficult to find affordable lodging and dining, know that it’s okay to treat yourself to the finer things in life after slaving away on school work for the last two months. Plus, letting loose with your fellow spring breakers is a great way to forget about adult responsibilities for a few days and make memories that last a lifetime — or at least until the next morning.

3. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

This Caribbean tourist trap will not disappoint — there are about 100 all-inclusive resorts scattered along a 25-mile-long white, sandy beach. The locals are very welcoming and want to make sure you are having a great time indulging not only in their aqua ocean views, but also in their cocoa, coffee and cigar culture as well. Don’t worry about it being too expensive, because there are many websites that offer discounts and deals to make this tropical destination affordable.

I Spy with my Little Eye: Sightseeing Destinations

The United States is home to many great spectacles — both natural and manmade; and spring break is the perfect opportunity to see some of them. However, there are noteworthy sights in arguably every state. That, and large crowds of spring break tourists, can make your decision quite difficult. So, here are three places that are perfect for a springtime visit:

1. New York City

This happening city makes for a great destination at any time of the year, so spring break is the perfect chance to finally make the trip there — you know you have always dreamed about it. Life in New York City will return to its usual hustle and bustle after the city thaws out from the cold winter. That said, it wouldn’t be noticeable to locals if you decide to venture and explore way more than a normal tourist would. Stay in Midtown to experience Times Square, Central Park, Fifth Avenue and more. The other districts are also only a short bus ride away, so you won’t have to miss out on anything the Big Apple has to offer.

2. Arizona

Spring is the perfect time to travel to this state because you will find temperatures warmer than Wisconsin but still below that of the summer heat wave. There are also several natural wonders within its borders: The Wave is a sandstone rock formation found in the Coyote Buttes along the northern section of the state; Antelope Slot Canyon is a colorful beauty in the Navajo tribe land; and Horseshoe Bend is a spectacular viewing point to see a portion of the Colorado River. All three offer both scenic picture opportunities and hiking routes for some exercise. Plus, these places are often overshadowed by some of the more popular nature spots, so being overcrowded with tourists shouldn’t be a problem.

3. Washington D.C.

​Although this city is always busy, it’s worth visiting for its many historical and national attractions. There are museums, memorials and monuments galore, so you won’t have to worry about running out of things to do. A bonus to making the trip this spring is their annual National Cherry Blossom Festival — the sweet scent and beautiful pink colors of cherry blossom will make it hard to resist this city in the spring.

On the Road Again: Road Trip Destinations

For those of us with limited budgets or time to travel, a road trip closer to home might be the best option. Don’t be too bummed out about not making it to the beaches just yet, though — sometimes the best memories are made driving in a car with your best friends. Plus, many adventures await from within only a few hours of driving time. Here are three places in the Midwest that offer plenty to see and do:

1. Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

This quaint little lake town is the perfect getaway. It’s less than an hour and a half away from Madison, so t won’t be long before you’re able to start enjoying your break. There is an endless variety of things to do between hiking, kayaking, relaxing at a spa, boutique shopping, magic shows and fine dining. If you enjoy golfing, there are also pristine courses that are ready to challenge you. Whether you choose to stay there for just a day or a whole week, you will find yourself rested and relaxed by the time you return to the reality of college life.

2. Chicago, Illinois

Although this is a more typical spot for Wisconsinites to visit, it never hurts to spend time in the Windy City. There are many other picture opportunities besides The Bean; get a friend to snap a photo of you enjoying a slice of deep dish pizza or taking a stroll on Navy Pier. Also, don’t forget to check out all of the shops that line up along Michigan Avenue. The many museums and aquariums are worth the visit, too.

3. Twin Cities (St. Paul and Minneapolis), Minnesota

While the Twin Cities is home to our ultimate Big Ten rival, they serve as a great escape from the normal Madison surroundings. These cities house unique art exhibits, such as the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden; beautiful natural scenery, like the river overlooks in Minnehaha Falls Park; museums, such as the Como Park Zoo and Conservatory; and a thriving downtown shopping scene, such as the 30 blocks of Grand Avenue. You’ve got double the things to do in the Twin Cities than in Madison, so there’s bound to be something to meet everyone’s interests.

Lend a Helping Hand: Service Trips

Spring break is a great chance to take some time for yourself, but it can also be the perfect time to serve those in need. There are many organizations in the United States that make school breaks meaningful by sending students out into the world. Here are three volunteer opportunities for you to make a difference in the lives of people who has it more difficult:

1. United Way

This organization offers an Alternative Spring Break program for college students. This program gathers young adults nationwide and sends them to a city in need within the country. The students will work alongside locals to help improve the aspect that’s in need. One of these trips costs only about $300 to $400, and that fee includes three daily meals, housing, transportation, etc. So, not only will you end the week with a feel-good attitude, you will also have plenty of money left in your bank account, still.

2. Habitat for Humanity

This organization’s Collegiate Challenge is a great opportunity, as long as you gather at least five friends to join you. Not only will you help provide a family with a place to live, you will also have plenty of quality time to bond with some of your closest companions. There are also many projects available, so you can pick where around the country you would like to work.

3. Hurricane Relief and Response

In the wake of several devastating hurricanes that ripped through much of the southern United States, efforts to rebuild will occur well into the future. Many organizations are sending volunteers to help bring these cities back to their pre-hurricane states. Samaritan’s Purse, for example, lists their current hurricane relief projects and allows you to sign up to help with one. By helping our fellow Americans in times of need, we promote the idea of a united nation and the belief that we will stand by our neighbors through both the good and the bad.

Even though winter has not even arrived yet, it’s never too early to start planning your Spring Break. As you can see from just my small list of ideas, there are endless ways to spend your rare moments of freedom. However, no matter what you choose to do, a great group of friends and the overflowing amounts of laughter that comes alongside makes for the perfect recipe to a successful break. March 24, here we come!

Aubrynn is a small town Wisconsin girl with big city dreams. She is currently a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison pursuing a career in the sports broadcasting industry. Some of her favorite things include smelling flowers, laughing with her friends, and the color pink. She hopes to inspire people to believe in themselves and to treat everyone they meet with kindness. You can keep up with everything happening in the life of Aubrynn on Twitter (@AubrynnVV) and Instagram (@brynnvv).