11 Real Life Lessons from Disney Princesses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Most movies with a Disney princess make it seem like every girl’s wildest dreams should revolve around a too-good-to-be-true prince and a happily ever after in a castle. Don’t be fooled though, because these girls’ stories offer so much more. Grab your Dollar Store tiara, put your feet up, and read on to find out what each princess has to say about what really defines the modern girl.

1. Ariel: Don’t be afraid to go out of your comfort zone

Ariel longed to go above the ocean’s surface and experience human life — so she did! Although the people close to her initially raised some concerns, they eventually got on board and supported her.

Moral of the Story: Forget about fears and judgments, it’s time to take a leap of faith and go after something you’ve been wanting to do. You never know what great rewards can come out of it, and the right people will always have your back.

2. Rapunzel: Surround yourself with people who want to see you succeed

For a long time, Rapunzel was oblivious to the fact that being confined to a tower with Mother Gothel was holding her back from the life that was truly meant for her. She only truly flourish to her full potential when she met someone who was willing to put her best interests in mind.

Moral of the Story: It’s okay to cut out negative people in your life. You may discover that they were exactly what was standing in your way of success. Instead, fill your corner with the people who will cheer you on the loudest.

3. Aurora: Honesty is the best policy

Being whisked away to a hidden cabin without proper explanation probably wasn’t the best way for Aurora to live the first 16 years of her life. Thankfully, her handsome suitor saved the day by reversing the sleeping spell cast upon the princess after defeating evil Maleficent with the Shield of Truth.

Moral of the Story: Don’t lie your way out of a problem! Being deceitful will hurt not just yourself, but also everyone around you. It may seem harder than lying at the time, but telling the truth will always gain you much more respect.

4. Belle: Don’t settle

Just as everyone around her did, it would have been easy for Belle to limit her future to the confines of her tiny town and to settle for a husband who didn’t deserve her. However, she realized that there were adventures and true love waiting for her far beyond the cobblestone streets of her home.

Moral of the Story: Playing it safe doesn’t always bring true happiness. You know your worth and what you’re looking for, so don’t be afraid to say no to something okay in order to keep searching for something great.

5. Jasmine: Take time to travel

After feeling like a prisoner to the kingdom in which she lived, Jasmine decided it was time to venture beyond the walls. By seeing the world with her own eyes, she learned a lot about who she was and what was important to her.

Moral of the Story: If you’re given the chance to travel, take it — even if that means doing it alone! This may be a busy time of life, but part of becoming a real adult is discovering what defines you. Seeing new sights and meeting new people can help you do just that.

6. Cinderella: Dream big

Becoming a maid for her less-than-lovely stepmother was most likely not on Cinderella’s bucket list. However, that didn’t stop her from pursuing what seemed to be even the craziest of dreams – going to the royal ball! Not only did she attend, but she walked away with a life grander than she could’ve ever imagined.

Moral of the Story: No dream is too unreasonable, no matter your current circumstances. With a lot of hard work and even the smallest amount of faith in yourself, you can make anything happen.

7. Tiana: There’s nothing wrong with being an independent woman

Despite adversity, Tiana built a life for herself. She was determined to open her own restaurant, even if that meant placing all other aspects of her life on hold. At the end of her journey, she was a successful self-employed chef who had an army of people who respected her hustle.

Moral of the Story: It’s time to break the mold – boss ladies unite! Society may have primed us to believe that we, as women, should rely on men to support us; the truth is though, there’s nothing wrong with being an independent woman.

8. Merida: Stay true to yourself

From day one, Merida hasn’t been afraid to be different. Rather than marrying one of her suitors, she wanted to remain her own suitor. Rather than playing with dolls and learning the housework, she wanted to practice archery. It was clear that she didn’t fit the status quo of being a girl, but she was totally okay with that.

Moral of the Story: Trying to become like everyone else is a waste of the unique person you are. At the end of the day, we are all made to have different thoughts, characteristics and interests. Next time you consider changing who you are, decide to own your true self instead.

9. Snow White: Kindness is the best form of beauty

Snow White was indeed beautiful; however, it wasn’t her outward appearance that gained her the attention of the many woodland creatures. Rather, it was her genuine disposition and sincere love that drew the animals and the seven dwarfs to her.

Moral of the Story: Having a pretty face doesn’t earn you real friends; what attracts people the most is genuine kindness and compassion. Instead of being so focused on how you look on the outside, take more time to improve what you have inside – that’s what really counts.

10. Mulan: Be brave

Selflessly taking the place of her father in the Chinese Army couldn’t have been done without a lot of courage. Mulan not only substituted in place of her father, but she also participated in battles and helped bring victory to China. Even the risk of death did not stop this warrior.

Moral of the Story: More often than not, the most important things take the most bravery to do. Sometimes, even trivial tasks that are unfamiliar to us take at least some courage to accomplish. Don’t let fear keep you from doing what you know you’re meant to do. Instead, go boldly in the direction of your destiny!

11. Pocahontas: Trust your intuition

Pocahontas knew she was interested in John Smith when she stumbled across the Pilgrim village. Although it was forbidden for the two groups to associate, something within Pocahontas knew that she and Smith was meant to be. By following her heart, she not only ended up with the man of her dreams, but she helped save her land and improved the relationship between her tribe and the colonists.

Moral of the Story: A woman’s instincts are usually correct, so listen to them the next time you’re faced with a big decision. Take a risk that you feel is right; you might end up with a big reward.

While it’s totally okay to watch Disney princess movies for the happily-ever-after’s, some of us are looking for more. What’s truly amazing about these stories though, is the fact that they each offer some helpful life lessons. So, the next time you’re in need of some guidance, make some hot chocolate, curl up with a cozy blanket, and turn on some of your Disney favorites.

Aubrynn is a small town Wisconsin girl with big city dreams. She is currently a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison pursuing a career in the sports broadcasting industry. Some of her favorite things include smelling flowers, laughing with her friends, and the color pink. She hopes to inspire people to believe in themselves and to treat everyone they meet with kindness. You can keep up with everything happening in the life of Aubrynn on Twitter (@AubrynnVV) and Instagram (@brynnvv).