10 Things You Should Know About Barbara Bush

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Barbara Bush was an outstanding First Lady who touched many people in the short time she was in the White House with her husband, George H.W. Bush. She left an impact on the world that will truly last forever. The world knew of her grace and carefree attitude, and many idolized her work as a public figure and mother. Here are ten interesting facts about the amazing things this passionate woman did in her lifetime:

1. Presidency runs in the family.

Barbara Bush was the fourth cousin, four generations removed, of the nation’s 14th president, Franklin Pierce. Related to Pierce through her father, Marvin Pierce, she understands the role of the presidency pretty well. Not only did she marry George H.W. Bush — who became the 41st President of the United States —  but she also raised George W. Bush, who became the 43rd President.

2. She was an angel.

She was an angel — but not in the way you may think. Bush’s involvement in philanthropy started when she was in Pi Beta Phi sorority at Texas A&M University’s chapter. Later in life, she also started the Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy. Her association with and interest in children’s literacy stems from Pi Beta Phi’s literacy philanthropy, Read. Lead. Achieve.

3. She met the future President at only age 16.

Barbara Bush (or Barbara Pierce) met George Bush at a dance at the Round Hill Country Club in Greenwich, Connecticut. Barbara thought she would grow up to become a nurse, “but then [she] met that marvelous George Bush and the nursing went out the window.” Reminiscing their first encounter, Barbara said, “He asked someone to introduce me to him and we then became friends. … I was a good dancer. He was not a good dancer.”

4. Motherhood came second nature to her.

Barbara and George Bush had six children: George, Pauline Robinson (also known as Robin, who died of Leukemia at only 3 years old), John Ellis (Jeb), Neil, Marvin and Dorothy. Barbara was never not busy; she became a full-time mother after her husband had to start traveling frequently for work. Soon later, Pauline passed away. Describing daughter’s tragic death, Barbara said, “It was… certainly hard on George, who had to keep on in business and work. It was hard on me and our family, but on the other hand, if you ever give up hope you give up living.”

5. She was a “Silver Fox”.

Barbara’s brown hair turned silver during her daughter Robin’s Leukemia treatment. While in the White House, Barbara’s hair made her look more like a grandmother. The fitting nickname, “The Silver Fox”, came from her son George.

6.  The whole nation knew her signature pearls.

The triple-string false pearl necklace Barbara wore to her husband’s inauguration in 1989 became a fashion trend nationwide; but, she wouldn’t have worn the pearls if they were real. She wore fake pearls because she thought they were not only fun, but also big enough to cover her wrinkles.

7. Schools have been named after her.

Six schools were named after her, to be exact. Five of the schools are in Texas, and the sixth is in Arizona. A Texas library, too, was named after her: the Barbara Bush Library.

8. She’s an acclaimed writer.

Barbara Bush has written and co-written multiple books — including two about her family dogs! She has written a lot about her personal life; in Barbara Bush: A Memoir, she writes about the terrible death of her daughter, Robin. Barbara also took that opportunity to reflect on her time at the White House.

9. Nothing stopped her from working.

Shortly after becoming First Lady in 1988, Barbara was diagnosed with Graves disease, an immune system disorder that affects the thyroid. The disorder isn’t actually fatal, so it didn’t cause her death. But, she had to undergo radiation therapy throughout her life. Still, she continued to carry out her official duties as a mother and First Lady.

10. Barbara Bush died with Graves disease, but not because of it.

Barbara Bush died at the age of 92 from complications of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and congestive heart failure. A source close to the Bush family confirmed that Barbara said —  after being admitted to hospital several times — that she had decided “not to seek additional medical treatment and will instead focus on comfort care.” Barbara Bush passed away a caring and passionate woman whose impact on the world will be remembered forever.

Barbara Bush was truly an outstanding woman who played a huge part in the American society. Hopefully, these ten facts helped you learn more about Barbara Bush’s life of Barbara Bush.

:)