10 Pros and Cons of the End of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The end of the semester is both a fun and challenging time for college students. We are excited for summer break; but that excitement is also limited by impending final exams. Here are the best and worst things about the end of the semester:

1. Pro: Classes are almost over.

After over three months of devoting most of your time to classes, you can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel! Soon, you can say goodbye to novel-length readings, group projects and 8:00 a.m. lectures.

2. Con: You dedicate these weeks to studying for finals.

Your final exams are standing in the way of you finally celebrating summer break. It’s hard to enjoy the spring weather when you’re spending every waking moment in the library getting ready for exams.

3. Pro: It’s finally nice outside.

Even though the weather isn’t always perfect, it’s definitely an improvement from the permanent blanket of snow you see over campus in the winter. There’s nothing better than being able to go outside without wearing four layers and a pair of snow boots.

4. Con: Or is it?

Just when you think spring is here to stay because winter is officially over, snowy weather and twenty-something-degree temperatures will appear out of nowhere. As every UW-Madison student knows, it’s never too late for a snowstorm.

5. Pro: It’s warm enough to start exercising outside.

It’s hard find motivation for the gym when there’s a foot of snow on the ground and when it gets dark at 5 p.m. The warmer temperatures and long daylight hours, on the other hand, are perfect for a run on the Lakeshore Path or a game of soccer on the grass.

6. Con: You’re out of excuses to not exercise.

It’s easy to justify watching Netflix over going to the gym when it takes ten minutes to get ready for braving the sub-zero weather. Now that it’s warmer though, you can’t use bad weather as an excuse to skip your workout to watch Criminal Minds instead.

7. Pro: You can ride your bike to class.

Trying to get on the 80 along with 100 other people in February feels like an Olympic sport. Now that you can bike around campus without the risk of getting frostbite, you can bid your farewells to checking bus schedules four times a day and to fighting people for a spot on overcrowded buses.

8. Con: Everyone else is also riding their bike.

Once everyone else realizes that bike-riding season has arrived, watching out for determined bikers becomes a full-time job. As pedestrians, you’re at the risk of getting run over by bikers eager to get across campus in two minutes every time you cross the street.

9. Pro: You’re going home for the summer soon.

After spending the entire school year in your dorm or apartment fending for yourself, you’ll soon be able to enjoy the comforts of your own home. Home-cooked meals, free laundry and your own bed are just a few of the perks of going home for the summer.

10. Con: You (might) have to leave UW-Madison.

If you feel most at home at UW-Madison, it can be hard to say goodbye to campus for the whole summer. Of course, there’s always the option of staying on campus for the summer, whether it be for classes, an internship or a summer job.

The end of the semester is a time of excitement and anticipation; but, it can also become a source of stress for many students. Make sure you take time for yourself as you prepare for the end of the school year. Enjoy as much of the spring weather as you can!