10 Problems Every Female Sports Fanatic Can Relate To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Alright, my fellow sports fanatical ladies, stand by me when I say this, you know it’s real.  We have all have that one (or two, or three, or infinite) moment in our lives when we’re just going about our usual football Sunday with our bros when suddenly, some random Mr. Know-It-All appears and acts like you don’t know sports AT ALL. Of course, most guys aren’t that way. But for those who are, listen up: guess what, friends? Surprise, we actually LOVE and understand sports as much as you do. You wouldn’t just randomly assume that one of your guy friends doesn’t understand sports when he clearly has his nose glued to the TV watching a game, would you? So don’t assume that about us! I’m glad you’re trying to help, but hey, girls can understand sports too (#GirlPower). And ladies, I know you can relate to what’s about to come.

1. Being known as THE GIRL who watches sport just to stand out or to get attention.

“I bet you’re only pretending to like sports so guys like you.”

2. *Looks away from the TV for two seconds to pick up something from the floor, misses a fantastic interception*You: “What just happened?”Mr. Know-it-all: “Oh, that’s called an interception. That’s when they….”

Chill, I just missed what happened. So stop mansplaining. I understand the game.

3. Being constantly questioned as to how well you REALLY know the team.

“Oh you’re a (fill in the blank) fan? What’s the punt returner’s social security number?”— Who the heck knows!

4. Being known as the desperate girl looking for athletic eye candies.

“I bet you only watch it because the guys are hot!” Sure, some of them are good looking, but that’s not why I’m watching!

5. Being told multiple times how the jersey comes in a women-cut/pink.

No, I DON’T WANT PINK. I just want the actual colors.

6.      Having your loyalty to a player questioned.

“Why do you like the team?” or “Of course he’s your favorite player. He’s probably the only player you know!”

7. When it’s a nail-biting moment in the game and the guy wouldn’t stop badgering you.

Shhhh… I’m trying to focus!

8. You get judged so harshly when you can’t contain your excitement or anger during a play.

I’m sorry that I care. I just can’t be tamed.

9. Nobody really cares about your insight.

Come on, I did my research!

10.  Having to explain to someone why you love the game.

Seriously? Would you ask a guy the same question?

Obviously, most guys out there don’t treat us like this. Still, you know these problems are just too real. Enough is enough. After all, female sports fans really aren’t a rare species.

Haidee is a sophomore from Hong Kong at University of Wisconsin- Madison pursuing majors in Journalism and Sociology. Inspired by the humor and kindness of Ellen DeGeneres, Haidee aspires to be a journalist who dedicates her talents to human interest story or lifestyle story reporting (aka. someone who eats for a living). On top of being a die-hard Patriots fan and a New Girl addict, Haidee is also the ultimate foodie.