This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Girls don’t realize the amount of beauty products we use on a daily basis until we pack them all up and try to fit them in our college dorm room.  And with the amount we use every day, we’re bound to need a refill within the next couple weeks!  Splurging on high end cosmetics and beauty products can be expensive, especially for the girl who’s struggling to pay her way through college… and still look hot at the same time.  Here’s a few of my favorites that will  make you look your sexy best, and still be able to afford next semester’s textbooks.

1.    You can drop $40 easily on name brand mascara at high end stores. Trust me, I’ve done it.  I’ve probably tried at least 20 different brands of plain, black mascara over the years, and this one’s the best.  Slap some on before class, and your lashes will stay long, beautiful, and clump-free all day!

Maybelline Full and Soft Mascara in Very Black.  $6.49, Walgreen’s Drugstores.

2.    It’s a fact— every girl in the history of forever has wanted the Urban Decay Naked pallet. But instead of spending a hard earned $50 dollars, try these cream eye shadows from L’Oreal Paris.  Once layered on top of each other, even a makeup artist couldn’t tell the difference!

L’Oreal Paris infallible eye shadow in Bronzed Taupe and iced latte.  $7.99, Walgreen’s Drugstores.

3.     Ever gotten to class and realized your perfectly applied face is already sweaty and shiny? Instead of pulling out your entire makeup bag and starting to reapply in class, grab one of these babies from your purse.  Blot anywhere you’re shiny and voila!  Perfect, smooth skin in seconds.

Sephora Collection Blotting Papers in Calming Natural Tea Tree.  $8.00, sephora.com.

4.      With some products, splurging is necessary, but no need to break the bank with Revlon Lip stain!  It’s every bit as good as anything you could find at the MAC counter, and at a fourth of the price.  Plus this creamy, lilac shade is adorable for fall! 

Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Darling.  $6.89, Ulta Stores.

5. Never have I found an eye makeup remover and a gentle cleanser all in one. However, I can lather this wash all over my eyes without a hint of pain or a trace of makeup left afterwards. Plus, it’s completely oil-free, so watch out break outs!

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser.  $10.99, target.com.

6.    We’ve all had to cope with the struggles of streaky blush.  You apply it over your already flawless foundation and realize too late that it’s left bright pink splotches all over your cheeks, so unlike the perfectly blended face of the model in the advertisement.  I have tried dozens of blushes and even the most expensive don’t go on this smoothly.  Just dab your brush in it and apply lightly over the apples of your cheeks.  Perfect rosy skin in seconds!

Metallic Cream Blush in Pulse.  $14.00, topshop.com

7.       It’s hard to find a concealer that goes on smooth and matches your skin color perfectly. This e.l.f concealer comes in tons of different colors that can match any skin tone, and goes on so flawlessly, you won’t even know it’s there!

e.l.f Studio HD Lifting Concealer. $3.00, eyeslipsface.com.

8.       I don’t know about all of you, but chipped nail polish has got to be my number one pet peeve. You put it on in the morning, and by 5 o’clock, only half of it is left.  This is not the case with Sally Hansen’s Xtreme wear line. Not only does it come in the cutest array of colors, but it lasts for days without reapplying! So next time you’re shopping for a cute, new color, skip the $15 Butter London and head straight for Sally Hansen.

Sally Hansen Hard As Nails Xtreme Wear in Lacey Lilac.  $2.99, Walgreen’s Drugstores.

9.     It can sometimes be very challenging to find a lotion that works with your skin and doesn’t make you break out.  Especially if you have extra sensitive skin like me.  This dual treatment lotion is dermatologist tested and, as an added bonus, comes with built in SPF 15.

Purpose Dual Treatment Moisture Lotion with SPF 15.  $9.99, walmart.com.

10.   Neutrogena has always been my go-to brand. Always gentle and affordable, this powder foundation is no different.  It’s perfect for the on-the-go college student.  Just dab some all over any time of the day and your skin will be left flawless and soft.

Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Powder Foundation in classic ivory.  $11.28, Ulta Stores.

It’s hard not to get swept up in the glamour of all the top designer brand makeup.  I know I still get a little makeup-gasm every time I walk into a Sephora— it’s natural for anyone with two X chromosomes! But it’s important to know when to splurge and when to save, especially when you know sometimes you’re only paying for the label.  Try out these “must have” products, and I promise you’ll look better than the girl down the hall, and still be able to afford dinner!

Madison Krigbaum

Wisconsin '18

.
Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com