You HAVE to See This Korean Drama About Strong Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

It’s great to observe women doing something amazing, especially considering recent events in the media. For you Collegiettes who like getting into other cultures, you can try a Korean drama called “Strong Woman Do Bong-soon!” If you don’t really like cartoons, don’t fear! It’s live action!

Personally, I love the acting in this because it reminds me of reactions drawn in many animes and mangas (comic books printed from the back of the book to the front) I have read before.

This television series came out last year and even though the series only ran from Feb. 2017 to April 2017, it made the highest rated Korean dramas in television history coming in at #8. The series stars Park Bo Young, as a girl named Do Bong-soon, born from a family where each generation of women are born superhuman strength. Along with the pros of acquiring this power, the women are given a curse, causing the women to lose their powers if they use their gift of strength for bad things. Do Bong-soon has a longtime crush on a police officer named Guk-doo, spanning back to the sixth grade. He, of course, acts like he doesn’t notice her advances, but we all know he really does. While using her powers to help officer Guk, Do ends up getting a job as bodyguard of Ahn Min-hyuk, a CEO of a videogame company, who Do thinks may be trying to hide his sexuality.

There are many funny moments in this drama mixed in with the action. One character you don’t see much who makes me laugh is Do’s mother, Hwang Jin-yi. She wants a man in her daughter’s life more than Do does, and constantly makes statements about how excited she is about the two men in her life. It’s extra funny because she actually has no idea what is actually going on and gets only bits and pieces.

In episode three, Hwang gets a phone call from Guk asking for her permission to allow Do to stay at Ahn’s house overnight. Her father, of course wants her to come home immediately. Shockingly, she allows her to stay the night and gives Do a quick prep talk: “Whatever you decide to do over there, no matter what it is, I’m going to think of it as fate.”

Do also has a twin brother who asks Hwang why she looks happy about the situation, to which she replies, “As you get older you’ll learn that all eventful history is created at night.”

Curious to find out more? Watch Strong Woman Do Bong Soon!!

Hey there! My name is Ashley. I love movies, music, animals, learning new things, and going on adventures. I'm crazy enough to double major in Theatre and Mass Communication. One of my life goals is to graduate before I die.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.