Things A Girl Who Love Sports Gets Tired Of Hearing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

From the time I was four I played sports.  This continued all the way through high school.  Not only did I enjoy playing sports but I love to watch sports.  People assume that sports are for boys, but they are very mistaken.  As a girl who loves sports, here’s some things I’m tired of hearing.

1. “Prove it”

Nothing is more annoying than telling someone that you like watching sports and being subjected to a quiz to really “prove” that you are a true fan. Whether it’s about the most recent game or the teams coach from the 60’s, always be prepared to be tested.

2. “You must watch sports for the hot guys.”

Trust me, I love looking at Matt Kemp as much as the next girl , but he isn’t the reason I watch baseball. Shockingly, it’s because I like watching baseball. Amazing, I know.

3. “You just watch sports to try and impress guys.”

LOL, no. If anything, watching/knowing about sports leads to more arguments with guys than anything. Has it ever occurred to you that I might just… like watching sports?

4. “It’s so cool to meet a girl who knows so much about sports.”

Okay buddy, is that supposed to be a compliment? Honestly, that is one of the worst things a guy could say to a girl who loves sports. Girls that love sports aren’t some kind of rare alien. We’re regular people, and our knowledge of sports shouldn’t be a defining feature of our personalities.

5. “You must get your love of sports from your dad.”

Well, my dad does love sports but so does my mom … and sister.  Three women in the same house who love sports, how could this be? It’s almost like everyone is allowed to like and dislike anything they want. Amazing. 

6. “Do you want the pink jersey?”

This is in no way a diss to the girls who love to wear pink. I mean pink is my favorite color. But omg can I just wear my fav team’s colors? Not everything girls wear has to be pink.

These are just a few of the things girls who love sports get tired of hearing. At the end of the day sports bring us together. Female or male – nothing compares to watching your team win.

Meet Sierra, a junior digital information design major.  She is forever wishing she could marry Justin Timberlake, travel the world and be Khloe Kardashian's bff. But until that day comes you can find her obsessing over her dog, being extremely awkward, or stressing over sommething she waited too long to start.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.