Samira Ritter: Transitioning Diversity Into Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Winthrop University is set apart from other colleges through their strong encouragement of cultural diversity among students. Samira Ritter is setting the bar high as an advocate for a cultural movement among sororities. She was kind enough to sit down and answer some questions about her newest organization, Women’s Multicultural Collective

Name: Samira Ritter

Year: Junior

Hometown: Irmo, South Carolina

In summary, can you give a brief explanation of what Women’s Multicultural Collective is, what it represents and how you hope it will make an impact on campus?

Our organization is the Women’s Multicultural Collective and it is a transitional organization as we have been working towards bringing the first multicultural sorority to Winthrop. Some of the biggest things we stand for are success in education, sisterhood and social justice. We hope that our organization will bring more inclusiveness and diversity to Greek life on campus. 

What led you to this leadership position?

For me, having a leadership position is nothing that is really new. My freshman year I created the One Direction club, which really helped me learn many of the leadership skills that I have now. Being the person that started the quest to bring a multicultural sorority, I naturally became the president. 

How is your organization different from others on campus?

Our organization is different than others because while being an organization that is trying to put on events externally for the school we also have to build ourselves up internally and complete requirements so that we can become the first multicultural sorority. Being a transitional organization is much more difficult than just being an organization on campus. 

What kind of events can we be expecting to see from WMC in the near future?

We hope to do a Loving Day, which is about interracial couples, and we hope to do programs about culturally based mental health. We also hope to be doing some collaboration with other culturally and social justice based organizations. 

What is your personal favorite thing to do on campus?

My favorite thing to do on campus is go to the DSU (Digiorgio Student Union) office. It’s always lit in there and they are the most amazing people. I hope that our organization could be as amazing as DSU one day. I also enjoy going to open mic nights and watching people do their poetry and sing. 

What are some of your favorite team bonding exercises to do with the girls in your organization?

My favorite thing to do is play icebreaker games. It helps me get to know everyone in the organization a lot more. It also helps me get to know people in the organization that I don’t know very well. My favorite game is the one where you get a partner and they show you 3 pictures in their phone that describe who they are.

What is a fun activity, event, or fundraiser that WMC has already done?

The most fun event we have had was last semester and that was the karaoke night in the Edge. We got a lot of people to come up and sing and our grand prize was 2 tickets to see Selena Gomez in concert. 

Who is your biggest inspiration?

My biggest inspiration is my mom because for most of my life she had to raise my sister and I as a single mother because my dad died from cancer when I was 8 years old. Luckily we didn’t have to struggle for anything but I know that it was hard for my mom to make sure we could do everything we wanted because she couldn’t be in two places at once. This taught me to be very independent and I am very grateful for that. When my mom wants to do something, she doesn’t wait for other people to do it with her, she just does what she wants to do.  I hope that I can be as adventurous as her one day. 

Make sure to check out Women’s Multicultural Collective and give them love!

Facebook: Women’s Multicultural Collective

Instagram: @winthropwmc

Grace Holtzclaw is a sophomore Social Work major at Winthrop University, concentration in mental health studies. Her biggest aspiration in life is to wake up next to a pug every morning, have a cup of Keurig coffee, and eat cinnamon oatmeal before attending work as a mental health counselor. If she's not participating as the chair of fundraising for her Social Work club or writing articles with her awesome HC team, then she's in the gym making those gainz. She lives her life through Drake quotes such as "Live for today. Plan for tomorrow. Party tonight." and "Where you movin'? I said onto better things." Follow her on Instagram @gracieholtz and Twitter @gholtzie
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.