Meet The New President of Winthrop’s Social Work Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Nichole Sanchez, the new President of the Winthrop BSW Club, took the time to answer these questions and try to inspire people to become involved with Social Work Club on the Winthrop Campus! Check her out!

Q: How does it feel to be the new president of the Winthrop BSW club?

A: I am thrilled to be the new president of Winthrop’s BSW club! As a transfer student, I have been eager to get as involved on campus as possible and I am excited to lead the club in meaningful endeavors of service and professional development.

Q: What does BSW mean?

A:  Spelled out BSW means Bachelor’s of Social Work, which is the undergraduate sector of the Social Work Department at Winthrop.

Q: What other positions have you held for the Winthrop Social Work Club?

A: Last semester I assumed the position of Public Relations Officer.

Q: What is something you would like people to know about Social Work/Social Work Club? 

A: Social Work is more than your stereotypical ideal of “baby snatchers.” We are a profession of change agents who value diversity and fight against social injustices and inequities for the worth and value of all individuals. Social Work stretches across such broad sectors and functions of individual practicum and community practicums. So collectively, there is a profession under the umbrella of Social Work suited for anyone’s comfort level. On the club level, we strive to take what we

are learning and apply it-in a hands-on fashion. The club is focusing on creating those professional networks and development.

Q: What is something you hope to accomplish during your time as president of the Social Work Club?

A: I would love to leave a legacy. Dr. Huggins who is over our club has high expectations and dreams for the BSW Club and I hope to bring it all to fruition. If not completely, at least get the ball rolling for whomever will follow in my footsteps. I plan to have us more involved in our direct community during my time as president. Winthrop is a small university in a relatively small town; so I feel our involvement to this area is critical.

Q: What other organizations, on and off campus, do you guys work with?

A: We have worked with York County CROP Walk, the ROC, and are in talks with the Catawba DSS to do a joint event. This is an organic area currently as we get the semester rolling. We are actively seeking involvement with other campus organizations.

Q:  What are some of the upcoming events the Social Work Club will be hosting?

A:  We are working on a Self-Love tabling event promoting the importance of caring for ourselves. In March we are planning a big event as March is Social Work Month…think 50s “Sock Hop!”

Q: How can someone get involved with Social Work Club?

A: Email Winthrop.bsw.club@gmail.com or come to our weekly meetings. We meet in Owens G07 every Thursday during Common Time. No, you are not

REQUIRED to attend EVERY Thursday but we do encourage it because usually we have cookies…

BONUS Questions: Q: What is the last song you listened to?

A: Sam Smith-Pray

Q: Name something most people don’t know about you!

A: I can speak Spanish, German, and ASL. (don’t you dare quiz me either)

Q: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

A: Germany. I was an exchange student my senior year in high school and fell madly in love with the country.

Q: What is your guilty pleasure and why?

A: Cheesecake. Why? Because, it is cheesecake.

Q: What is your spirit animal and why?

A: Unicorn! Because I’m all about glitter, magic, rainbows, and being fabulous. Have you ever seen an unicorn NOT looking majestic!? I thought not!

If you have any questions about Social Work Club, email Winthrop.bsw.club@gmail.com or go to their weekly meetings, held in Owens G07 at common time! 

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.