The Lion King Completes It’s Major Cast and People Have Mixed Emotions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

On September 26, 2016, all OG Disney fans received some of the best news of their lives: the classic film The Lion King would be released in the year 2019 as a live action movie.

Disney started the trend of live action movies in 2010 with the box-office hit Alice and Wonderland and most recently in 2017 with the Emma Watson featured remake Beauty and the Beast. With the announcement of the remake of The Lion King, fans immediately began to wonder who would voice the animalistic cast.

One of the first to be cast was singer, rapper, and actor Donald Glover as the film’s lead protagonist, Simba. The rest of the lead roles were soon cast, but there was much anxiety around who would voice Simba’s best friend and love interest, Nala.

There were rumors that the great Beyonce Knowles was in talks to voice the lioness, but she had just had her twins so nothing was official until November 1 of this year, when director Jon Favreau released an official announcement indicating Beyonce as Nala.

As exciting as the news was, fans had mixed reactions to the news and took to Twitter to vent their excitements or frustrations.

Of course there will be doubters and there will be believers, but Queen Bey will always come through for the BeyHive! And on that note, I leave you with a tweet that not only represents my feelings toward the casting decisions, but also how I hope the beginning of the movie will look:

Winthrop University Freshman. Mass Communications major and a future professional blogger.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.