This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

March 8th is an important day because this is International Women’s Day. This day is also known as the day of the United Nations Day for Women’s Rights and International Peace.

It was first observed in the year 1909 in New York when women marched in the streets demanding more rights. This day is even a national holiday in some countries!

This year, the theme for International Women’s Day is #PressforProgess.

In the past, women were only looked at as homemakers and rarely had rights. Today women are athletes, actresses, congresswomen, business owners, etc. It is important that women stick together because we can all benefit from the support of one another. From family, to friend groups, to sports teams, we all need to stick together!

On this day, there are festivals, speaking events, gatherings, etc. to mark this special day.

Women are so strong and deserve to have a day, like today, to acknowledge how amazing they are, even though they should be celebrated every single day.

For all of the grandmothers, mothers, aunts, sisters, friends, and more, show any woman in your life how awesome they are and how much they mean to you! 

I can’t begin to describe all of the important women in my life, but I do know that without them, I wouldn’t be where I am today. There are strong women everywhere and it is time for everyone to get on board and see how amazing we are!

Happy Women’s Day Collegiettes! This day is for all you awesome women out there!

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.