Demi Lovato May Be Dating A Woman And Could Be Losing Fans Over It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Lovatics are going crazy over this past week’s news.

Demi Lovato was seen allegedly on a date in Disney Land, holding hands with Lauren ‘KITTENS’ Abedini.

I personally was always specticle about the possibility of Demi being bisexual and LOVE that she’s possibly found someone new. Ever since Wilmer Valderrama and Demi broke up over a year ago she’s only dated a couple people. Like MMA fighter Guilherme Vasconcelos and UFC fighter Luke Rockhold. Both relationships however quickly fizzled out.

Demi with boyfriend of 6 years, Wimer Valderrama

Demi with MMA fighter short-term bf Guilherme Vasconcelos

Demi with UFC fighter bf Luke Rockhold

There have been mixed feelings about Demi having a relationship with a woman but I am really wondering why?

Her fans are some of the most devoted and loving fans out there; and Demi has been an LGBT activist for a while.

Using her voice to campaign for equal marriage rights. Why are they now shocked that she may be representing the LGBT community now in this way?

On Stan Twitter her fans have been questioning her, and her responses are everything:

ST: Do you have any desire to be a gay icon?

DLIf it happens, amazing. I think sometimes people can abuse that opportunity by trying to win over the gay community. It’s something that if it happens, amazing, and I’m more than willing to be that for people. But I don’t go out trying tp win over a certain community just so i can say that i have that fanbase.

ST: As someone who has overcome obstacles to be the sober, confident and empowered woman you are now, what would you tell a young, struggling LGBT person also trying to triumph over similar substance-abuse hurdles and body-image issues?

DL: I think a lot of people drinking and using in the LGBT community has to do with finding their identity. The most important thing to know is that you are never going to find your identity through drugs and alcohol, so don’t even go there. You are not going to find the answers through drugs and alcohol.

ST: As someone who is an LGBT activist, is there a reason you chose not to speak out about your sexuality?

DL: I just feel like everyone’s always looking for a headline and they always want their magazine or TV show or whatever to be the one to break what my sexuality is. I feel like it’s irrelevant to what my music is all about. I stand up for the things that I believe in and the things that I’m passionate about, but I like to keep my personal life as private as possible when it comes to dating and sexuality and all the stuff just because it has nothing to do with my music. Unfortunately, we live in a world where everyone is trying to get that soundbite and I am purposely not giving the soundbite. Watch my documentary. 

ST: Oh?

DL: I have a documentary coming out on October 12 on YouTube called “Demi Lovato: Simply Complicated”) and i answer a lot of questions in my documentary. 

ST: About your sexuality?

DL: Yeah, some about that. Because if ever i want to talk about it, I want it to be on my own terms.

As an avid ‘Lovatic’ and supporter of the LGBT community, I love this stage in Demi’s life and just want to see her happy.

Who knows? This relationship could inspire some of her best music. Her next album “Tell Me You Love Me” releases on September 29th. Check out her music if you haven’t. You won’t regret it!!

Paris Enthusiast. Macaron Lover. Lacrosse Player. Avid Photo Taker. Social Media Junkie. Travel Bug. ​ Born in Dallas Texas, but raised in the cities of West Chester, Pennsylvania, and Greenville, South Carolina. Ann Marie is a twenty-one year old student athlete living in Rock Hill, South Carolina where she attends Winthrop University as a mass communication major.  ​Currently, she is the Editor-in Chief, Campus Coorespondant and one of the social media directors of her college's Her Campus chapter where she edits articles, runs her chapter, and assists in running the Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, and Pinterest page. She also helps write articles with a team of 50+ writers who put out content daily. On top of Her Campus Winthrop and classes, Ann Marie plays on the Women's Lacrosse Team at Winthrop at the Division 1 level. Over the years, Ann Marie has learned the value of hard work, developed skills of teamwork, as well as expanded her knowledge marketing, writing, editing, publishing, social media and communication skills, which will give her the ability to be successful in any field.  Outside of her busy lifestyle, she enjoys being home with her family, dogs, and twin. On the weekends she likes to plan adventures with her friends and is on the ultimate search for America's best pistachio macaron, and dreams about going back to Paris, France and eat all the baguettes France has. Her dream is to inspire people and spread positivity while becoming a travel blogger taking pictures of her adventures and sharing them with the world. Ann Marie aspires to be like Blair Waldorf and can't live without her phone, french fries, Demi Lovato music, Gossip Girl, and of course chicken nuggets.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.