andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Reasons Why Men Should Date Ambitious Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

I’ve come across way too many guys these days that seem to be intimidated by ambitious women. Why is this? Is it the fact that we know what we want? Is it the fact that we are independent? Or, is it the fact that we work hard and succeed? 

I’m not going to lie, a lot of men in their early twenties have one thing on their mind when they’re in college. They want a girl who is easy and not difficult. They want some girl to be available at 2 a.m. for a booty call. They want a girl who doesn’t have 5 jobs so that way she can focus on him at all times. They want a girl who is okay with settling.

Newsflash guys, this is the 21st century and women are now expected to make a life for themselves. Every man should find hard-working and independent women attractive, not intimidating. Here’s why:

1. She doesn’t waste her time on boys who are unsure. There is no way she will be settling for a man who doesn’t even give her the time of day. She has a plan for her future and if you are unsure about your future with her, forget it because she doesn’t have time to waste on silly games. If she chooses you, then you are pretty darn special and you should know it.

2. Independence is her middle name. She knows what it’s like to not be in a relationship and she’s perfectly okay with that feeling. Because of that, she will give you space when you need it because she will need hers too.

3. She is honest with what is on her mind. She’s not going to sugarcoat anything for you and will always talk to you about what she’s feeling. She will also let you know exactly where and when she wants to eat dinner – none of this “oh I don’t care you pick” attitude.

4. She will challenge you. Yes, she is emotional and yes, she is difficult. But yes, she will challenge you and make you a better man. She deals with stressful situations on a daily basis, and if you aren’t up for the challenge, then you shouldn’t even bother with her. 

5. She still wants romance. Although she is a super busy woman and is stressed out all of the time, she expects you to surprise her with romantic gestures every once in awhile. Surprise her with dinner, a glass of wine, and a bubble bath when she comes home from work. She will love it and thank you later for it.

6. Although she takes control, she still allows you to be a gentleman. This means holding the door open for her, bringing her flowers, and buying her dinner every once in awhile. Even though she is a feminist, chivalry isn’t dead in her eyes and she expects you to step up and lead every once in awhile, just like a man should.

7. She doesn’t believe in being lazy. Don’t be lazy around her. She doesn’t deal with things like that. Her life motto is, “work hard play hard” and she will encourage you to be just as hard-working as she is. If you’re too lazy to put dishes in the dishwasher, you will get called out for it.

8. She believes in your fullest potential. She knows that there is a man inside of you and not a boy, she knows that you are smart enough to treat her right and respect her and she knows that you can do anything you put your mind to. Because of that knowledge, you will grow as a person, all thanks to her. 

Catherine is an ambitious twenty-something woman living in Rock Hill, South Carolina where she attends Winthrop University as a mass communication major. She is the President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Winthrop, which she co-founded in November 2014. She has also been a member of the Winthrop chapter of the Association for Women in Communications, and is currently the President of the Society of Professional Journalists chapter at Winthrop. Since being involved with Her Campus, Catherine received an internship at Her Campus Media in Boston, MA. She also currently works as a Chapter Advisor for the company and writes about Grey's Anatomy each week for the site. Because of Her Campus, she has also received writing positions at many publications throughout her 3 years at Winthrop. Outside of her busy lifestyle, Catherine enjoys relaxing with her friends on the weekends and having Sex and the City marathons. She can't live without her dog, family, Cosmopolitan, friends, Starbucks, Instagram, The Bachelor, Grey's Anatomy and of course Chick-fil-A. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: @cathclowe!