28 Amazing African American Women To Close Out Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

As Black History Month comes to a close it is important to look at all the amazing women in history who have defied the odds and broken records!

The following women consistently raised the bar for future generations to come. Here’s a list of 28 Amazing Women who are prime examples of #BlackGirlMagic!

1. Shonda Rhimes

(Pictured in Red)

January 13th, 1970 – Present

She is a writer/director/producer responsible for the wonderfully dramatic shows– Scandal, Grey’s Anatomy, and How to Get Away with Murder.

2. Michelle Obama

January 17th, 1964 – Present

As a former first lady of the 44th president of the United States, Michelle is the first African American first lady in U.S. History.

3. Eartha Kitt

January 17th, 1927 – December 25th, 2008

The actress and singer was the original singer of the popular song, “Santa Baby,” recorded in 1953. She also played Catwoman in the 1960’s Batman series. She also was the voice of Yzma from the Disney movie, The Emperor’s New Groove.

4. Sheila Johnson

January 25th, 1949 – Present

As a co-Founder of BET, she became the first African-American woman to attain a net worth of at least one billion dollars. Sheila is also the co-owner of the Washington Capitals (NHL), Washington Wizards (NBA), and the Washington Mystics (WNBA). Johnson is the second wealthiest black female in the united states, after Oprah.

5. Maame Biney

January 28, 2000 – Present

At only 17 years old, she has already broken records as the first African American to make the U.S Olympic speed skating team.

6. Oprah Winfrey

January 29th,1954 – Present

Known for her television show, The Oprah Winfrey Show, the philanthropist, actress, and talk show host became the first black female billionaire in the United States in 2003.

7. Leontyne Price

February 10th,1927 – Present

Price is one of the first African American opera singers to be internationally known.

8. Simone Biles

March 14th, 1997 – Present

The 19-year-old is currently the most decorated American gymnast, with an astounding 19 Olympic and World championship medals.

9. Sister Rosetta Tharpe

Listen to her shred here:  March 20th, 1915 – October 9th, 1973

This musician was recently inducted into the 2018 Rock and Roll Hall of fame. She is considered the godmother of rock and roll. Famous musicians such as Elvis and Johnny Cash consider her a major source of inspiration for their own legacies. Tharpe was responsible for giving Little Richard his first experience on stage.

10. Aretha Franklin

March 25th, 1942 – Present

Multiple Grammy winner (18 to be exact) and known as the “Queen of Soul”. She is the first woman to be inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and the second woman to be inducted into the UK Music Hall of Fame.

11. Maya Angelou

April 4th, 1928 – May 28th, 2014

The award-winning writer and poet already has a place in history for her works, such as the first African American woman to have her screenplay produced for a film, and the first non- fiction best-seller by an African American woman for her book I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, but did you know she was also the first black female streetcar conductor in San Francisco, CA?

12. Marie M. Daly

April 16th, 1921 – October 28th, 2003

Daly is the first African American to receive a Ph.D. in chemistry in the United States.

13. Hattie McDaniel

June 10th, 1893 – October 10th, 1952

In the 1920’s she became one of the first African American women to perform on radio. By 1940 Hattie earned an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress—becoming the first African American to win an Oscar.

14. Phylicia Rashad

June 19th, 1948 – Present

Best known as Clair Huxtable from The Cosby show, Rashad is the first African American woman to win a Tony award for best actress in a play, for her role in A Raisin in the Sun, as the character Lena.

15. Della Reese

July 6th, 1931 – November 19th, 2017

The Touched by an Angel star became the first black woman to host her own variety show, called Della.

16. Viola Davis

August 11, 1965 – Present

In 2015 Davis won Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for her Role in How to Get Away with Murder, making her the first African American woman to win an Emmy in this category. She is the only African American performer to win an Oscar, an Emmy, and a Tony award.

17. Halle Berry

August 14th, 1966 – Present

Halle Berry became the first African American to win an Academy Award for Best Actress in 2001 for her Role in Monster’s Ball. She was also the most recent African American bond girl in the movie Die Another Day.

18. Althea Gibson

August 25, 1927 – September 28th, 2003

This athlete broke racial barriers in not one but two different sports. She was the first African American tennis player to compete at the U.S National Championships in 1950 and Wimbledon in 1951. She won the singles and doubles in 1957, and the U.S Open in 1958. She had dabbled in golf for a few years, becoming the first African American to compete in the pro tour.

19. Misty Copeland

September 10th, 1982 – Present

This Ballet dancer is the first African American to be appointed as a principal dancer for American Ballet Theatre.

20. Mae C. Jemison

October 17th, 1956 – Present

Jemison had broken several records at once, The first record, set in 1987, was the first African American female to be admitted into the NASA astronaut training program. After passing the program, her next record was placed as the first African American female astronaut. Her final record was set in 1992, as the first African American female astronaut in space.

21. Marjorie Joyner

October 24th, 1896 – December 27th, 1994

The first African American to graduate from A.B. Molar beauty school. She was also the first black woman to receive a patient for her permanent waving machine.

22. Alexa Canady

November 7th, 1950 – Present

Canady became the first female African American neurosurgeon in the united states.

23. Whoopi Goldberg

November 13th, 1955 – Present

The Ghost star has several records under her belt, such as the first woman to host the academy awards, and one of 14 people to win an Emmy, Grammy, Tony, and Oscar award.

24. Shirley Chisholm

November 30th, 1924 – January 1st, 2005

She became the first African-American congresswoman in 1968. She served seven terms in the House of Representatives as a representative of New York. She also became the first major-party black candidate to make a bid for the U.S. presidency, running for the Democratic Nomination in 1972.

25. Tyra Banks

December 4th, 1973 – Present

The model has been recognized as the first African American to be featured in three different magazines. The first was on the cover GQ Magazine in 1996. The other two magazines were Sports Illustrated’s swimsuit edition and Victoria Secret’s lingerie catalog, both in 1997.

26. Angel Rice

December 4th, 1998 – Present

This young lady broke the Guinness world record of most double full twists in a minute. The record to beat is now 10.

27. Surya Bonaly

December 15, 1973 – Present

This French American is a professional ice skater who has competed in the 1998 Olympics alongside skaters such as Michelle Kwan. She has won the world silver metal 3 times, European champion five times, and French national champion nine times. Surya is known as a rebel for her infamous backflip at the 1998 Olympics, landing on one leg.  

28. Madam C.J Walker

December 23rd, 1867 – May 25th, 1919

Started her own line of African American hair products. Walker was the first American woman to become a self-made millionaire.  

When making this list, I tried not to choose women that everyone knows, because there are so many women in this world that have not received the recognition they deserve. I learned a lot making this list, and I hope you Collegiettes did too while reading it!   

Hey there! My name is Ashley. I love movies, music, animals, learning new things, and going on adventures. I'm crazy enough to double major in Theatre and Mass Communication. One of my life goals is to graduate before I die.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.