10 Things to Make Your Desk the Perfect Spot for Getting Things Done

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Whether it’s for work or school, there’s a good chance you have a desk in your life.

Here are a few ideas for things to make your desk the ultimate spot for getting things done! 

1. Sticky Notes 

Sticky notes are amazing for writing quick reminders or notes. Post them on your wall or desk for reminders, or on documents and in books for notes. Sticky notes are cheap too! You can buy a multi-pack at Dollar Tree for $1. 

2. A Computer Riser 

Computer risers are great because they allow you to lift your monitor or laptop up higher. This makes it easier to read at eye level while sitting up straight. It also allows you have more room for papers since your device is lifted up. There are a lot of different choice for computer risers online. I bought this basic one that’s under $20. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073VKC134/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

3. A Blanket 

A blanket is a must-have for any home desk and possibly work desk! If your job isn’t very casual you might not be able to get away with a blanket, but casual jobs should be okay! I know several people in my office who have blankets because it gets so cold. A nice cozy blanket is perfect to keep you warm and relaxed while studying or doing work! 

4. Notebooks or Notepad 

Notebooks and notepads are perfect for jotting down things you want to remember or just working thoughts out on paper. It’s so nice to have a notebook handy to make to-do lists, shopping lists, study plans, outlines, and whatever else you want!  

5. Motivational Quotes 

Motivational quotes are perfect for getting you through studying for that final or a stressful day at work. You can buy them from places like TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and Target, print them off online, or make them yourself! 

6. Mints or Hard Candy  

Mints are amazing for giving you that perfect little mid-day pick me up. I personally like the plain old round peppermints like these (insert link to peppermints). You can also buy a bag of them at Dollar Tree for $1. 

7. Pictures of Friends, Family, Pets, Anything! 

Pictures are usually associated with good memories and feelings and will make you happy by looking at them! Whether it’s pictures of your friends and family, pets, scenic landscapes, or whatever makes you happy, it’s sure to help you get through getting your work done!  

8. A Lumbar Support Pillow 

A lumbar support pillow supports your lower back to ease any lower back pain and improve your posture! These pillows will help you sit up straight while still being comfortable. This memory foam one is less than $20. 

9. A Desk Plant

Plants release oxygen into the air, making it fresher! Having a plant at your desk will help you feel better and be pleasant to look at.  Some houseplants that might be good for your desk are Spider Plants, Aloe Vera, Peace Lilies, Succulents, and English Ivy.   

10. A Calendar 

A calendar will help you keep track of upcoming due dates! Having a calendar at your desk will help you to make sure you don’t forget any assignments, appointments, or other obligations! 

I hope you found some inspiration from these things to help you make your desk the perfect place to get things done. Thanks for reading Collegiettes! Good luck on finals!!

Molly Murphy

Winthrop '19

21-year-old business student at Winthrop University with a passion for fashion.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.