Why Bernie Will Always Be #1 in My Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Bernie Sanders seemed to have come out of nowhere when he entered the 2016 Presidential Race. He already had his following in Vermont as a Senator, but he would soon have the support of a large chunk of the nation too, especially with millennials (myself included).

Though he didn’t win the Democratic nomination (which was a yuge mistake, in my opinion), Bernie has continued to fight for what he believes in and has had the continued support from those who voted for him and even those who didn’t.

Bernie Sanders is the man America needs. Even though he is not the president, he will always be #1 to me. Here’s why:

1. He has no hidden agenda; everything he wants to do is for the good of the people and the planet.

2. He doesn’t let his age hold him back.

3. He doesn’t take life too seriously.

4. He doesn’t run negative ads; he just states the facts.

5. Even the animals love him.

6. He believes in helping those who need it.

7. Even after losing the nomination, he turned his support to Hillary right away (even before, actually; he endorsed her prior to the DNC).

8. He had record-breaking campaign rallies.

9. He is the longest-serving independent in Congress history.

10. He has been a political activist since his younger years. He was even arrested for peacefully protesting segregation.

At the very least, he’s an incredible guy with a huge heart.

Here’s to hoping we have another Bernie Sanders run in 2020!

Cassie is a senior from Eagle, WI. She is pursuing a major in English with a writing emphasis and minoring in Applied and Professional Writing and Psychology. She hopes to one day work for an editing or publishing company and write books on the side. There are few things she loves more than Disney and Bernie Sanders, except maybe animals.
This is Gabriella Ingebrand: Junior at Winona State University majoring in Advertisement. She is a master when it comes to wasting time on Pinterest and making a mess while baking in the kitchen. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Winona, President of Dream Closet Winona, Communication Specialist for AdFed, and Social Media Chair for her sorority. All in all, Gabriella is a free spirit always trying to have a good time.